• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is Saginaw a type of power steering pump or brand name?

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
I'm in the middle of upgrading my power steering pump to a "canned ham" type of pump. These seem to be referred to as saginaw power steering pumps.
Is there a Saginaw brand name or is this a style of pump?
I ordered a WH power steering pump bracket. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Steering_Pump_Bracket_Kit
I want a duel return for future hydroboost and am looking at NAPA's pump # 819159
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...mp-w-Reservoir-Remfd/_/R-NSP819159_0333116179
It's for a 1974 Lincoln continental and Mark IV, with hydroboost
Will this work?
i'm worried about the clocking of the pump and the line-up of the bolt holes.
I've read 3 search pages of Saginaw pumps and 1 guy says get this one and another says nope that on didn't fit!
I've seen them on the vendors sites but the Saginaw upgrade pumps run $150 plus.
Confused in ATL

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Can't help you with the bracket, I used a early 80's ford van bracket with a few modifications and a spacer to set the distance from the head. Clocking the pump isn't that bad, it just may take a few trips to the store to pick up the right belt length.

A Saginaw pump is a style of pump and I've got a dual return from a '75 Lincoln - I believe they changed one of the return lines a bit in mid-'75 - I chose the later style. Need to get a couple of hoses made, a bunch of bleeding done and I should be rolling again. If you're looking at a Astro for the booster just be aware that they use a funky o-ring fitting that none of the local shops could match on a hose for me. I had to pick up a couple of adapters to get to an inverted flare and I'll get the hoses made this weekend (hopefully).

KOBALTBLUE

Loc.
Daphne,Al
Its a type of pump,Used mostly on GM cars and trucks If you want to get one set up for Hydro get one off a Big Chevy box van making it fit some people sell parts to make them fit if you have a welder you could do your own, I've had both the Sag can be a pain just as much as the Ford unit.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Its kind of a brand name Saginaw was a main supplier of GM parts for many years. They also sold parts to other companies.
Saginaw is just a identifier as most "saginaw" pumps look like a canned ham its name is not a type of pump just how the pump looks.
Saginaw makes steering boxes, transmissions and whatever other parts gm contracted them to make. Saginaw is now known as Delphi.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even the stock power steering gear boxes on Early Broncos were Saginaw boxes. Next time you see one off the frame, look on the backside to see the very stylized "S" cast into the body.

Even with that you never hear one referred to that way. Instead the steering gear most often identified as "Saginaw" boxes were the GM boxes of the sixties and seventies. Which coincidentally enough, were mostly used with the canned-ham pumps of Saginaw fame.
Even my '66 Corvair had the then-new "Saginaw" 4-speed manual transmission that was considered a step up from the previous models.

So as said, it's a brand name, that has become a "type" as well. Whether under that name or one of the others.
Saginaw is a city and county and probably a host of other related things in Michigan and was one of the areas at the heart of much of the auto component and vehicle manufacturing back then, and now.
The two other companies that come up in conversations about these products are Thomson and Delphi. And both are related to Saginaw through sales, purchases, takeovers, buyouts, poker losses, and whatever other means by which one company becomes part of, or becomes another entirely. ;D

All in the family, so to speak.

Paul