• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is something like this needed for painting underside of bronco

widowmaker77

Contributor
Hey guys, I’m new to paint and body stuff so I’m not sure what I really need. I’m blasting the underside of my 66 and I have the upol anti corrosive epoxy primer. To spray on afterwards. I’ve been doing some reading and I’m wondering if I will need something like this to be able to spray the underside with since my body is still on the frame? I’m concerned that conventional spray guns won’t let me shoot properly while holding it upside down. Any advice is appreciated! https://www.harborfreight.com/64-oz-Professional-HVLP-Air-Spray-Gun-Kit-62895.html

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That will work fine but you'll need a 60+gal compressor as it's an HVLP gun.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
That will work fine but you'll need a 60+gal compressor as it's an HVLP gun.

Thanks man! I’ve got the compressor part covered. Just not sure about paint guns but trying to learn

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's not an HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) gun. It's a standard gun. It would be fine also for doing the underside. To get a nice paint job on the top side you should stick with an HVLP gun. Here's a quick description of the difference:

HVLP vs standard gun - the HVLP uses more air but is more efficient at laying more paint on the surface. You get less blowback and less overspray with HVLP. The standard siphon gun will give you a better atomization on average at the expense of efficiency of coverage. More expensive HVLP (DeVilbis, etc.) can give a good droplet size (small). I almost always pick an HVLP over a siphon if I need great atomization. If overspray isn’t an issue I might use a standard high pressure gun.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
That's not an HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) gun. It's a standard gun. It would be fine also for doing the underside. To get a nice paint job on the top side you should stick with an HVLP gun. Here's a quick description of the difference:

HVLP vs standard gun - the HVLP uses more air but is more efficient at laying more paint on the surface. You get less blowback and less overspray with HVLP. The standard siphon gun will give you a better atomization on average at the expense of efficiency of coverage. More expensive HVLP (DeVilbis, etc.) can give a good droplet size (small). I almost always pick an HVLP over a siphon if I need great atomization. If overspray isn’t an issue I might use a standard high pressure gun.

Thanks I sure appreciate it!

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Will it get into all the nooks and crannies in the rear wheel wells?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Will it get into all the nooks and crannies in the rear wheel wells?

I shot my underside with a $10 Harbor Freight HVLP gun. But I had it off the frame and flipped. I usually use a Techna Pro HVLP or an old school Devilbiss suction but I was shooting KBS epoxy mixed with ceramic microspheres and that stuff is very hard to get off the gun so I just planned to toss it when I was done. It was worth $10 to not have to clean and believe it or not, it shoots pretty well. Almost shockingly well. The gun is the same as he linked to, but I used gravity feed instead of a pot. For the underside, if you're not painting a color, just the epoxy, the gun finish really isn't super critical. You'll have way more issues with temperature, humidity, and other variables. And if you're doing it on the frame, you can't get long controlled sweeps anyway. So you probably don't want something that's laying down a lot of paint because you can't move as fast when you're working around things. With an HVLP you'll be putting down plenty of paint so the nooks and crannies are fine. With a beginner using a normal gun, he'll probably move slow with a lot of off and on the trigger anyway so he can adjust his timing or go over it a few times while he's in the area. Either gun will work fine. He'll get more "overspray" with the normal gun, but it's not $2000/gal paint where you're worried about losing a bunch to overspray. But he can use the HVLP and just adjust his speed, or volume, so he's not getting drips.

I shot the rear wheel wells when it was still upright. It was a little difficult around the rear inner wheel well, between the door post and wheel well, and the tail light and wheel well, especially at the top. You have to shoot blind and just reach your hand up there. But don't forget I was using a gravity feed gun so I had a cup on top. His pot gun has a lot more room. I turned down the paint volume because I knew I couldn't move fast and didn't have a lot of room. Then I went up with a light and mirror to check. Don't spray too long or too short. You'll be able to get it all. And up there it doesn't have to look pretty, just get covered. No one can see up there.

Mind you, I'm not a pro, but I have shot about 12 cars and only messed up one. If there's any pros here, pipe up.

Attachments

• IMG_6089.jpg
    IMG_6089.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
I shot my underside with a $10 Harbor Freight HVLP gun. But I had it off the frame and flipped. I usually use a Techna Pro HVLP or an old school Devilbiss suction but I was shooting KBS epoxy mixed with ceramic microspheres and that stuff is very hard to get off the gun so I just planned to toss it when I was done. It was worth $10 to not have to clean and believe it or not, it shoots pretty well. Almost shockingly well. The gun is the same as he linked to, but I used gravity feed instead of a pot. For the underside, if you're not painting a color, just the epoxy, the gun finish really isn't super critical. You'll have way more issues with temperature, humidity, and other variables. And if you're doing it on the frame, you can't get long controlled sweeps anyway. So you probably don't want something that's laying down a lot of paint because you can't move as fast when you're working around things. With an HVLP you'll be putting down plenty of paint so the nooks and crannies are fine. With a beginner using a normal gun, he'll probably move slow with a lot of off and on the trigger anyway so he can adjust his timing or go over it a few times while he's in the area. Either gun will work fine. He'll get more "overspray" with the normal gun, but it's not $2000/gal paint where you're worried about losing a bunch to overspray. But he can use the HVLP and just adjust his speed, or volume, so he's not getting drips.

I shot the rear wheel wells when it was still upright. It was a little difficult around the rear inner wheel well, between the door post and wheel well, and the tail light and wheel well, especially at the top. You have to shoot blind and just reach your hand up there. But don't forget I was using a gravity feed gun so I had a cup on top. His pot gun has a lot more room. I turned down the paint volume because I knew I couldn't move fast and didn't have a lot of room. Then I went up with a light and mirror to check. Don't spray too long or too short. You'll be able to get it all. And up there it doesn't have to look pretty, just get covered. No one can see up there.

Mind you, I'm not a pro, but I have shot about 12 cars and only messed up one. If there's any pros here, pipe up.

Man that’s a lot of good info! Thanks for taking the time post it! Any tips you have I appreciate because I’ve never done this before and would like to do it right. I’m planning to blast everything good, spray the upol epoxy primer then spray raptor liner. I’m wanting to do this over the Christmas holiday while I’m on vacation.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Talk to your paint supplier and tell them the temperature you estimate the air will be, and the humidity. They can recommend a reducer (thinner) for your conditions. Don't spend the money for stuff to remove fish-eyes. You won't care on the bottom. WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!! And not a paper piece of crap. I always shoot with a P100 organic vapor/Acid gas cartridge simply because KBS requires it, but you probably can use a P95 just to do the epoxy. Look at your epoxy or talk to your supplier to see what you need.

P100

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirato...4P0AQN6N66N&psc=1&refRID=4M2GRVNPT4P0AQN6N66N

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEFCKKY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

p95

https://www.harborfreight.com/p95-maintenance-free-dual-cartridge-respirator-large-67727.html

Wear TWO layers of gloves. The second layer will get paint on them. You need the first layer to take the second layer off so the paint doesn't get on your hands, it'll get on the first layer.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-100-pc-large-light-blue-68497.html

PRACTICE on scrap pieces of cardboard to get used to spraying. You can practice with water to get started, then try your epoxy

Pay attention to your pressure. You may need to wait for your compressor to keep up.

Tape/paper off your body paint. You will have over spray Use blue painter's tape. It doesn't leave glue on your paint.

Don't have your gun too close. At least 8" or more away, but practice on a piece of cardboard to adjust your gun pattern. The gun will have instructions on how to adjust.

Don't be nervous and have fun! Spray with confidence. Once your gun is adjusted and you've practiced, it'll be easy. It's not a beauty contest under the Bronco and it'll be covered with raptor liner anyway so just learn from any mistakes as you go forward.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't seem to edit. You can practice with REDUCER/THINNER, not water. You don't want any water in your lines or your gun.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Thank you for all the information! I really appreciate it! I will definitely practice some before I try to spray the epoxy