• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

J@@p Dana 30

alsroadster

Loc.
Sandia Park, NM
Not long ago there was a thread about putting a Bronco front dif in a Ranger. Some one said they should put a Cherokee high pinion disc brake front end in it. Now I know what you're gonna say but it got me to thinking that it may be a good swap for my EB. Now hold on, I doubt my 200 6cyl will ever reach 120 hp even with the headers and 2 barrel and she's mainly a backroads runner, no crawling. I know I'd have to fab mounts etc, but it might be worth it ,to get a newer dif with discs. Or maybe parts from them to upgrade my Dana 30 Or how about a 30 from a CJ type J@@p? Discbrake D44's are getting pretty expensive. Anybody know about this stuff? Thoughts, opinions?

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Heck , do one & you'll wonder why you waited so long . The seals are really easy . Did a set this morning in about an hour . Nothing special , tool wise needed . Way easier than trying to adapt some " foreign " axle housing to your Bronc .

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Nope . The ring gear unit pops out , the pinior gear stays in place . Just pull your hubs , drums , backing plates , spindles , slide out axles . Pop the cover off , undo 4 bolts , pry the ring gear assembly out , pry the seals out , reinstall in reverse . The one I did today was the easiest I've ever done . Nothing gave me the slightest hassle . It does help to move the track bar too but I was doing poly bushings so it was coming off anyway .

OP
OP
A

alsroadster

Loc.
Sandia Park, NM
Will I run into any shims? Will I need a gasket for the cover? Is there anything else I will need besides the seals and oil of course? Thanks

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
No shims needed . The one I just did was for the 2 seals but I found the axle u joints were shot too . Spindle bearings were fine but sometimes they need replaced , then just buy a spindle kit . Also found the drag link was worn out . Was able to buy everything I needed locally .<br>A diff cover gasket is optional , just silicone it good . Just inspect everything while it's apart .

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
[quote author=alsroadster link=board=5;threadid=8812;start=0#63162 date=1031417554]<br>That sure sounds like something I can handle. Thank you very much.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Is a Dana 44 the same way or do you have to set up gears?

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
The fronts are all the same , no set up if you just pull the carrier for a seal change . Heck most of the parts are the same for the D 30 - D 44 . Same inner seals , same axle u joints etc