• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

JP Rock Eater Transfer Case Gears

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Is anyone running these gears in the Dana 20 case? I am looking at getting them and wanted to know if anyone has any feedback on them. Installation? Where did you get them (if other than BC Broncos)? Any trouble with them? Effects on braking? Thanks!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
If you have an auto and the idle is too high or the torque convertor has a too low stall speed or you don't push the clutch in on a manual you will not be able to stop with the low gears.
Install is that simple on the T shift case, just install them. If you have the J shift case you will need to use a couple of gears from a t shaft case.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I know a guy running them. Biggest complaint is the loss of normal low range. Makes it hard to play in the sand and cinders.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Chuck,

I have a C4, stock torque converter, 3.50 in the diffs, disc brakes in front, 11" drums in rear and my idle is set to 800 with your QJet.

I would like to keep the highway crusing and low RPM's so thus the inquiry into getting these gears. I think the crawl ratio is going from 21 to 41 with these gears. Is that too much for my system to handle?

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
I think the jp gears are too much. For the price of the gears and a heavy duty output conversion, you could get a Atlas II. I know Chack with BC Broncos has a lot of top notch stuff, however I think an Atlas II would be a better option.
The only problem with these setups are the lack of closer to stock gearing for less agressive wheelin. I believe Klune has the perfect answer.
Its only a matter of money ;D ;D ;D

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Dennis said:
I think the jp gears are too much. For the price of the gears and a heavy duty output conversion, you could get a Atlas II. I know Chack with BC Broncos has a lot of top notch stuff, however I think an Atlas II would be a better option.
The only problem with these setups are the lack of closer to stock gearing for less agressive wheelin. I believe Klune has the perfect answer.
Its only a matter of money ;D ;D ;D

By keeping the D20, all the driveshaft lengths stay the same. Don't you have to do additional mods to go down the Atlas path?

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah I looked at the tera lows but the increase in crawl ratio is not much for the price and the extra work on the tcase. I still need a locker in the front and new axles and a wedding on the way so money is not free flowing right now if you know what I mean.

Chuck, how necessary is this heavy duty output conversion?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I think your crawl will be 42:1 + the torque convertor. Your stock ratio for low T-case and Drive in the trans is 8.6:1 and your stock low T-case and low trans is 20:1. With the JP low gear T-case and drive on the trans you get 17:1 So the JP low with the auto in drive is a little higher than the stock low/low.
Now about that output shaft, big tires+low gears+heave foot= weak link acting like a fuse.
Low is about 2.46:1 in the trans and stock T-case. JP low 4.86

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Thanks for the details Chuck. I am still confused on what I should do next. Do I have to upgrade the output shaft? Any other problems I might run into?

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
When you say big tires and low gears, what are you typically talking about? I have 33" and may go to 35" tires, 3.50 in the diffs and stock elsewhere. I drive like an angel when I am crawling.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
You can add the output shaft later, mine is a stock replacement just much stronger. It would be hard to brake stuff with 3.5 gears, even with 35" tires and a easy right peddle. My problems started when I went to 4.11s 33's and the JPs. By the time I got to the 35s and 4.56s and the 4.3 T-case I could break front axles "at will " then the CTMs and alloy axles slowed that down but the biggest help was when I finally figured out that I could get there without pushing the right peddle much. I haven't broken anything sense, long time now. (looking for wood)

U

Unregistered

Here is some actual feedback. I have them in my D20. I have had them for several years. The guy who controls the product is Jack O'brien...or at least use to control them anyway. I haven't talked to him since the 35th EB aniversary. I use to live down the street from him and got his first set of kryogenitcally treat gears.

I am running 4.11 in the diff's with an NP435 which is 6.69:1 and the 4.85:1 Obrien gears (Also called Rock eater gears or JP eater gears or as originally called Jeep eater gears). I run 36" swamper Sx's with lockers and alloy axles all the way around.
Anyway, That gives me a final ratio of 135:1. I rock crawl 95% of the time. I beat the hell out of my rig. I went wheeling in the year 2003 on 28 of the 52 weekends. I have only missed 2 weekends this year.

How do I like the gears. I love them. Has anything broke...yes. I spun one rear output shaft...in fact the spud which I tore off is the one Jack brings to vendor shows for a demo. But...how did it break is important. I had the vehicle standing straight up trying to crawl a ledge and bouncing up and down. The shaft very likely snapped due to binding at the CV as much as anything. The point being...I was not being nice. After It broke, I replaced it with another stock shaft and ran that without failure for several seasons through places like little sluice on the Rubicon and many more very difficult spots. I have since replaced it with an Advance Adapters HD shaft (32 Spline version...Sorry Chuck...it was nearly free so I went that way). I have had no issues

Things to consider with an NP435...There is a big difference in Granny low to 2nd, but not too bad. I would like to add a NP203 doubler not for steeper gears, but more choices. Overall though, I have not found that to be a significant issue and 135:1 is plenty low for 36" sx's that I run now.

Some will say just buy an Atlas. If I had the money at the start to do that, I would seriously consider it...but don't for get adapter and D-line changes/costs. If you are like most of us, getting the JP gears first and adding the output shaft later may make it possible.

I will say this...going from 2.46:1 to 4:85:1 is like night and day when crawling in rocks. In many ways, you will create less stress on the drive train because you are going much slower and can control what the vehicle is doing much better. Further, you will learn you tip over point and be able to get much closer to them with a steeper gear. This will make you a better driver. But, by doubling the T-case ratio in low you are definitely adding pressure down stream and a heavy foot in the wrong spot can and will break things.

As for the Automatic Tranny issue of not being able to stop... I can't confirm this, but I could see that being an issue with some torque converters...Fact is I sometime have trouble stopping mine/getting the engine to die just using the brakes with the clutch out.

Hope this helps

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
Thats some good information. I have considered his gears. In fact if he is still in the Orangevale area, I believe if I buy direct from him I can take my T-case down to him and exchange it for one with the gears already installed. Sounds like you must be near the Sacramento area.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Thanks for the info. Do you know on the C4 if you put it in second if it stays in second the whole time? My brother asked me this and I was not sure to be honest even though I drive the thing all the time. ;D

I just want to make sure I can still stop!

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
with my experience with automatic transmissions if you put it in second you will start out in second gear and stay there. Just like if you were to do the same in first. As you know 3rd gear starts out in first then goes to second before you get to third.

I have heard the term "manual valve bodies" and I don't know if that is something you would put in the tranny so you would shift the gears manually. So that way if you put it in 3rd if would actually start out in 3rd gear? Anyone know?