• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just got a '76 and feel ripped off

Crimson66

Loc.
Olive Branch, Ms.
Seek more advice

I acquied a 66 about a year ago. not even thinking it would be totally torn apart, but around 7grand and not even close to finished I still feel I got a great deal. I'm lucky to just own one. Viperwolf reached out to you. I strongly advise you to seek his advice.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Got screwed from a former member here (blown motor, wiring issues, and a ton of other things), best thing is to get advice from the 99.9% decent guys on the forum and move on to fixing things.

Post some pictures.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any time I feel like I dont get what I paid for I try to improve it and make the P.O. wish they could have it back! Whatever your problems are with the Bronco Someone on here can help you through it!

lillsteve

Loc.
Granbury, TX
Welcome, all I can tell you is to please keep the faith. Over the past year I have bought two Broncos one after another in an attempt to find a good one. I have not yet come across a Bronco without baggage or issues. I might even end with three before I get just one on the road. I have to agree with JohnJohn that these "Things that bothered me but did not bother the previous owner" I think this might be due to non believers who have run out of love for their Broncos and are ready for them to become someone else's issue. I have learned that Broncos are a labor of love and oh yes money. This love is not unique to Broncos as anyone who buys a Hog also ends up buying tools to keep it on the road. Keep the faith and in time you will be amazed at how much you will learn about your new Bronco and oh yes how much you have spent.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Hay If mine didn't leak I would get worried(be out of oil).I would say all that bothers me is when the seller tries to cover up the RUST and won't let you look when you ask to pull the carpet back. Hang in there there is alot of great help on this site and even in your own State there!!

hc

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
Any time I feel like I dont get what I paid for I try to improve it and make the P.O. wish they could have it back! Whatever your problems are with the Bronco Someone on here can help you through it!

X2 -There is ALOT of knowledge here w/ people who grew up with a Bronco etc..

I like that color and It CANT be as bad as what you say.It is a nice looking rig !!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
There are 2 pics up in the gallery. I'll try to get some under carriage later when it ain't so damn cold out ;)

I don't know what you paid,but one day soon it will be worth more than all the other rides in that 2nd pic.Worth more than most in it now.Just my .02

hc

ps good lookin Bronco and I like the color;D

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Here are the pics click free.

Bronco_00413.jpg

Bronco_00315.jpg

Nice looking Bronco. I am sure the problems you have will pale in comparison to what others including myself have gone through. Best of luck and I hope you don't let this discourage you to much. A little time behind the wheel when its fixed and it will all be worth it.

Henry

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Welcome aboard! That is one sharp looking Bronco you have.
I don't know of anyone who didn't have at least a touch of buyer's remorse when purchasing a used vehicle.
You will soon find that the pride you derive from the blood, sweat, and tears you invest in making this "Your" Bronco will easily outweigh any initial remorse you now feel.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Thats a nice looking rig!

Welcome to cb.com home of the most knowledgeable and nicest people in the world.

You did good getting the '76 since it has disc brakes and power steering

In the future and for other buyers, unless the seller has receipts to back up what they say has been rebuilt, you should figure that it has just been cleaned and painted, not rebuilt. who spends hundreds or thousands to have stuff rebuilt, and doesnt save the receipt?

We have all dumped lots of $$ and time in our Broncos, lot better than buying a new vehicle that will depreciate $500 a month for the next 7 years.

As soon as you drive it around a little and start getting questions and compliments from total strangers you will feel alot better.

billd987

just remember like many have pointed out the standards for oil leaks and oil usage were different in the late sixties and early seventies.

They all leaked fluids from somewhere.

No truer words were ever spoken....

A couple of months back, I found an aerial photograph of our dealership taken in 1970. Upon closer examination I found oil leaks all over our NEW car lot. It was just part of the experience back then.

Also, growing up (70's-early 80's), we had a box in our garage full of different nuts, bolts, washers, you name it... These were all parts that my dad had found on the lot over time that had fallen off of the cars. It made for a great supply of when you needed that certain piece of hardware.

Obviously, times have changed, but when somebody tells me "they don't make 'em like they used to", I think to myself "thank God for that!"

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Man I love that color. I ditto what roundhouse said...I'd much rather have a paid for used car than dump $500 a month into a note for a car that is losing value every time I drive it. Broncos are the perfect vehicle - easy to work on, classic looks, readily available parts, and heaven forbid if the time comes, easy to sell (usually). Hang in there and get these issues worked out and drive that thing!

bec

Loc.
Mount Pleasant
rob-b man that thing looks sweet not the bronco the Excursion i have a white one with 238000 miles on it its a beast lol the bronco is kick a$$ man and i know you can work on trucks the Excursions brakes go bad about every 20000 miles or so or its my wife jamming on them when she gives it gas all the way up to the stop sign like i said be for you will get all the help you need on here and your bronco is way better then mine its all a part

NCSUWoj

Contributor
Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
Broncos

Rob_B - I am just over here in Forest and drove by that truck a 100 times in Madison Heights. Be glad to give you hand or if you just want to kick tires and talk broncos let me know! I got a couple here at the house!
Michael

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
sure is a nice bronco you got. it must be the price that you paid for it.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Rob, nice looking rig! I just started my first Bronco project, but have a simple rule to live buy. Always buy unrestored survivors, or restore it myself. Very few classic vehicles will be restored to the level that many expect, so I always assume it's junk until proven otherwise. You will encounter issues, and if you don't wrench yourself, it will be key to find a reputable mechanic that knows the vehicle, and has reasonable repair rates. For the most part, these are a lot easier to fix than newer cars.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Nice looking Bronco nothing cheap looks like that. The Ford Motor Company never made a Bronco that looked that good even when new. If they did they would still be making them at a cost of 35 grand for a stripped out gas hog.