• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just got a '76 and feel ripped off

OP
OP
R

Rob_B

Loc.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Rob_B - I am just over here in Forest and drove by that truck a 100 times in Madison Heights. Be glad to give you hand or if you just want to kick tires and talk broncos let me know! I got a couple here at the house!
Michael

And help me beat the piss out the jack leg. LOL. Howdy neighbor. PM me your number and I'll give you a shout.

OP
OP
R

Rob_B

Loc.
Lynchburg, Virginia
rob-b man that thing looks sweet not the bronco the Excursion i have a white one with 238000 miles on it its a beast lol the bronco is kick a$$ man and i know you can work on trucks the Excursions brakes go bad about every 20000 miles or so or its my wife jamming on them when she gives it gas all the way up to the stop sign like i said be for you will get all the help you need on here and your bronco is way better then mine its all a part

Thanks. lol..It's the original 2000 with the v-10. The 2nd v-10. the first one dropped the lower end at 65000 miles. Shes only got 120 on her now. Bought it new.

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
There is a 69 w/351 in Daytona on CL for $22,500 that looks almost identicle to yours. Looks like same color with the black on the hood.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Having had a parts store for 30 years I saw lots of people buy classic and lot fix up classic.
Yours looks really nice. I hate to say but you expected a new car like you'd buy today from a dealer.. Classic don't come like that. Also when you mix & match parts sometimes trans don't shift as smooth as we expect ..
... You've got a nice Bronco there, learn to love it.

OP
OP
R

Rob_B

Loc.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Having had a parts store for 30 years I saw lots of people buy classic and lot fix up classic.
Yours looks really nice. I hate to say but you expected a new car like you'd buy today from a dealer.. Classic don't come like that. Also when you mix & match parts sometimes trans don't shift as smooth as we expect ..
... You've got a nice Bronco there, learn to love it.

No, I didn't expect a new car. I expected the s.o.b. to tell me 75% of the truth. I went into the buy knowing that the restoration was at most 80%. But when the guy tells me that the tranny is fully re-built and perfect and it fries on the first day, kinda leaves a bad taste. But seeing this is a close nit community and a few members close by, I think I can make this an easy transition to a happy EB owner.:)

kaw550

Bronco Guru
Have you contacted the PO? It sounds like it should be corrected by the mechanic.
Is it still under warranty?

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
A buddy of mine pulls up driving a Black 65 Mustang....Beautifull....at 60 Feet....As I got closer well lets just say he would have done better at a house of ill-repute. The front bumper was held on with 3 bolts ...really just three...When he opened the hood...The carburator was sitting in a lake of Gas.....When I asked him to disconnect the battery, so as not to burn down my house he thought I was kidding untill I showed him where the "smell" was comming from. The wire loom was crackleing untill I disconnected the Battery . The Mustang was my new project for 3 weeks while I rewired under the hood and the dash, rebuilt the fuel system, the steering, and brakes as well But when it left my shop The tires burned rubber ..instead of the car burning and smoking

DevilDog

Loc.
Virginia
Rob,

Great looking Bronco, now the fun begins. Let's face it, you would have paid $15,000 for a rig looking that good if that had been the asking price. I'm betting you paid less than that for it, so the way I see it you have some room for some nice upgrades right?

I am probably in for about what you paid, and mine is not nearly as nice. Plus I have no power steering, and only drum brakes. However, I do have the luxury of playing fun games such as:

Who does that oil stain look like?

Where did that screw come from, (it matches the paint on the dash but I don't see the hole)?

And my favorite...name that smell?

Congrats on becoming a Bronco owner!

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
However, I do have the luxury of playing fun games such as:

Who does that oil stain look like?

Where did that screw come from, (it matches the paint on the dash but I don't see the hole)?

And my favorite...name that smell?

Congrats on becoming a Bronco owner!

Oh how we all enjoy those games.

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
New year and time to move forward. Sounds like there are a few Bronco guys local to you so hook up with them look it over real well and button up what is wrong. In the end you have a clean Bronco so enjoy it. As the saying goes you get what you pay for. If you thought it was a great deal then you probably thought you were taking the seller. In the end you probably got a fair deal so just enjoy the truck.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Seems to be a common color scheme.

Attachments

• Bronco 001s.jpg
    Bronco 001s.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 68

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Rob, congrats on the Bronco. That is one sweet looking rig! To get a rig looking that good you would have had to pay at least that much. So tell yourself you got a good deal!

As far as the leakages; as far as I'm concerned, if it aint leaking, something is wrong ;D If it stops leaking, its time to top off the oil.

With the tranny, like some have mentioned it could be a small issue. Even if its a big one, a total rebuild will be well under a grand. The rear - that could be your first project. Even if you think you are not mechanically inclined, you will be surprised at what you can do with the help of the forum members. These guys here are AMAZING to say the least. Since getting my Bronco there has been nothing left untouched including switching out the entire motor. I had fun doing it.

The best part is, I regularly park my rig next to Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Aston Martins and people still take pictures of the old Bronco. Very shortly you will develop a relationship and a sense of pride for your Bronco if you have not done so already. You will also start pissing on Jeeps for some reason ;D

major

Loc.
Knoxville
This is the perfect site and folks are willing to help. I built mine for one of my kids who grew up in modern vehicles and she loves her 35 year old truck. She is quick to tell me its younger than me. I am at best a half-baked, shade tree mechanic but I tend to be very picky and precise when I rebuild something...................yet my rear diff leaks and so does my engine. After all new weatherstripping, my driver side floor is wet from a leak between the top and the windshield frame.

I concour with most of the replys you have already gotten. They are great vehicles, easy to work on and with all the help you will get from here I think you will enjoy this site and your vehicle. If you are ever passing thru Knoxville and need help.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Wait, you can buy a bronco that runs AND drives? I had no idea....never done that before!

Welcome to the site, you will get the bugs worked out, an EB is a good start into the classic car world, they are simple and easy to work on.

OP
OP
R

Rob_B

Loc.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Thanks again all for the..snifff... warm welcome. Sorry had a moment there.
Ok, I'll come clean. The dude was originally asking 15, I picked it up for 12.5
Plus I went to the tranny shop that built it then subsequently re-built it the friday before x-mas. He told me the pump had gone out and a few other goodies that he did under his warranty. The leak he said was probably due to the guy i bought it from did'nt properly seal it when he re-installed it. Still a little sluggish going from second to 3rd, but at least thats better than nothing.

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
Make sure your modulator has a green stripe

If not hat could be your shifting problem. You can also adjust it just pull the vacuum line and give the it a 1/2 turn in.