• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just got a '76 and feel ripped off

Broncoholic1

Thanks again all for the..snifff... warm welcome. Sorry had a moment there.
Ok, I'll come clean. The dude was originally asking 15, I picked it up for 12.5
Plus I went to the tranny shop that built it then subsequently re-built it the friday before x-mas. He told me the pump had gone out and a few other goodies that he did under his warranty. The leak he said was probably due to the guy i bought it from did'nt properly seal it when he re-installed it. Still a little sluggish going from second to 3rd, but at least thats better than nothing.

Was going to say the body is in good shape, that is 80% or the restoration. Mechanical issues will come & go you got him down $2500 That will pay for a new crate trans installed if needed. Then you have a $17500 Bronco if it is as clean underneath as it looks top-side.

You should be happy with it, no rust issues like we have up north.:eek:

Great looking truck, the 76 Bronco is the best year to get, all the classic lines with good axles & power steering. You will never go wrong with it, wait till you take the top off in the summer. = Priceless.;D

Get a bunch more pict's of your truck so we can get an idea of any issues.

Bronco_00413.jpg

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Not a bad price at all, get some interior and engine pics up when you can. Any headliner? Or is it just black paint?

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Welcome. You should have seen the piece of sh&t I first bought. OMG. Loved it though, even though I had to hand all of my passengers safety glasses from the flying rust debris. The best was when my brother in law handed me a piece of my rear drum a week after I drove it through his yard! LOL. I had the fever and moved on to a different one. Wish I would have kept the 76 though.

Listen, I didn't know much about anything mechanical when I got my first bronco. Since then, I've pretty much done all the upgrades and repairs. The help I got on this forum, combined with personal help from members of Mid Atlantic Early Broncos, was great.

Leaks, everyone has them. I like when you get a leak one day, clean the garage floor and never see it again. Hey, where'd that leak go?

Once the top is off and young ladies are asking to take pics of their flat bellied friends next to the rig, you'll know all is good.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I have a crate 306 from Ford Racing still in the shipping box:). The 302 plain motors are easy to find, if there ends up being major issues. C4 transmissions all seem to leak unless everything is glued together with sealant.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
No man ever lost money on an investment the day he bought it, Only on the day he sold it.

I have to quote that to my Wife on a frequent basis.

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
I feel your pain but like the guys are saying; the rig looks great and if a trans fixes it, you're set with a pretty clean rig.

My own $15k purchase ended poorly - the thing wouldn't run for more than 30 minutes, had rust hiding all underneath the liner, was blessed with some shoddy structural work and was just generally a pile of sh!t. I didn't know any better at that point - I just knew I wanted an EB in the worst way and it looked clean. I was able to drive it for all of 150 miles when it got home before I took the entire thing apart, determined to make the rig right. It's been about 3 years, and the build is on it's second donor tub, third frame and second shop but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. Should be amazing when it's done.

Ryan

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
No man ever lost money on an investment the day he bought it, Only on the day he sold it.

I have to quote that to my Wife on a frequent basis.

b.six eight i need to remember this one to quote to my Wife;D

hc

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
At $12,500, I think you got a fantastic deal! I bought an original 76 with rusted out floor boards and a 302 that knocked badly. The original paint was so thin, that you could see the primer in many places. The power brake booster was full of oil and I paid $5,000.00 just because it was original and nobody had wrenched on it. I decided to take it down to the frame and completely rebuild it from the ground up. My budget was $25,000.00, and let me tell you, I way under estimated the cost. The parts order from Jeff's Bronco Grave Yard was $20K all by itself. I was at $25K and still had and old truck and a pile of parts. In hind sight, I would have gladly paid $12,500.00 to get a bronco in your starting condition. You did excellant for your first purchase! Don't let anyone tell you differently.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
I feel your pain but like the guys are saying; the rig looks great and if a trans fixes it, you're set with a pretty clean rig.

My own $15k purchase ended poorly - the thing wouldn't run for more than 30 minutes, had rust hiding all underneath the liner, was blessed with some shoddy structural work and was just generally a pile of sh!t. I didn't know any better at that point - I just knew I wanted an EB in the worst way and it looked clean. I was able to drive it for all of 150 miles when it got home before I took the entire thing apart, determined to make the rig right. It's been about 3 years, and the build is on it's second donor tub, third frame and second shop but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. Should be amazing when it's done.

Ryan

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41201
That was the first major build I watched from start to finish. Definitely wasn't a pice of sh#t. His measrement table for the door posts is still in use on the site today.

I don't know if you realize this, but no matter what parts you install and regardless of who you pay to install them you WILL have to deal with problems that arise with a 30-40 year old rig.

You should have educated yourself on these things before writing the check. Going by your track record and the amount of money you've wasted on this build you could have built three broncos.

Most of the old timer's on this site (including me) don't really appreciate trashing another members hard work. He may not of had the bank account to cover a build like your truck, but he did it himself. I wish build-a-bronco the best of luck with your build, but I'm sure you'll let us know if they mess anything up.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41201
That was the first major build I watched from start to finish. Definitely wasn't a pice of sh#t. His measrement table for the door posts is still in use on the site today.

I don't know if you realize this, but no matter what parts you install and regardless of who you pay to install them you WILL have to deal with problems that arise with a 30-40 year old rig.

You should have educated yourself on these things before writing the check. Going by your track record and the amount of money you've wasted on this build you could have built three broncos.

Most of the old timer's on this site (including me) don't really appreciate trashing another members hard work. He may not of had the bank account to cover a build like your truck, but he did it himself. I wish build-a-bronco the best of luck with your build, but I'm sure you'll let us know if they mess anything up.

Kind of surprised by this response. I did not get the impression Ryan was bashing a prev owners work and never did he blame the prev owner for ripping him off. Ryan is learning just like anyone else. Plus the fact that he is able to afford to have work done for him is not something to rip someone for. I don't care if they build it or buy it as long as they take care of it and have fun with it is all that matters to me. After you posted I had to go back and search to find out what all fuss was about. Plus now its Ryan's bronco and if he wants to call it a P.O.S. that is his right. If I don't want someone to critique my work I had better keep it and not sell it cause I'm sure someone else would have done it different and better. Cant we all just get along ;D

Henry

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
Kind of surprised by this response. I did not get the impression Ryan was bashing a prev owners work and never did he blame the prev owner for ripping him off. Ryan is learning just like anyone else. Plus the fact that he is able to afford to have work done for him is not something to rip someone for. I don't care if they build it or buy it as long as they take care of it and have fun with it is all that matters to me. After you posted I had to go back and search to find out what all fuss was about. Plus now its Ryan's bronco and if he wants to call it a P.O.S. that is his right. If I don't want someone to critique my work I had better keep it and not sell it cause I'm sure someone else would have done it different and better. Cant we all just get along ;D

Henry

As I said in another thread "...it's like getting pissed at me for saying some girl has a fat ass because she used to be skinny in the poster you have in your garage from 10 years and 200 pounds ago. And then ragging on me because I could afford to buy my wife a set of boobies..."

Bubbaluv

Loc.
Agoura Hills, CA
I get the feeling. I paid a pretty penny for my EB and expected for the cost, to have a great running vehicle. On the way home from picking it up, the front end started shimming like crazy and i was stranded 30 miles from home at 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Needless to say i was disappointed. You realize real quick that these trucks require a lot of TLC but are well worth it. For what you paid, i would say you got a fair deal. Once you get a couple things ironed out and you get to her a bit, i have a feeling you'll be happy. Just give it some time and expect that things are going to bust up on you but working it out is all a part of the experience.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva

Henry

He actually used the term "pile of sh#t" to describe the bronco.

Look guys, I'm gonna clear the smoke here and say I'm not looking for some debate. I'm sure his rig will be exaclty as he envisioned it when it's done. I'm well aware that he's learning and hell, we are all learning when it comes to wrenching on cars. I just think he needs to use some more tact when it comes to describing the condition of a purchase along with how the transaction went.

He sent me a PM to plead his case and get his point across. I sent him one back to do the same. I also emphasized how I want to put it to rest. I'm hoping it does so as well on this thread.

Hey Rob_B, sorry for highjacking your thread.

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
I supposed I should clarify - the purchase went fine. I never blamed the previous owners for anything; half the stuff wrong with it was lurking under the surface (or Durabak as the case was). We sat in his driveway for an hour or so discussing the issue with the FI system - and the truth is that the problem with it was worse than either of us thought. As I said in my PM - the thing sat - and because of that, it developed problems that at the time, none of us were aware of. The tub ended up getting messed up when the "shop" that had it for all of 2010 welded on it to fill rust holes and warped every piece of sheet metal. Like I said - the transaction ended poorly - the rig's been sold off, donated or stripped over the past 2 years. The only piece moving over to the '68 is the roll cage.