• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Keep rear drums?

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
First Bronco, first build, please use very small words...poor reading comprehension and mechanically challenged. 73 with front discs and rear drums

Should I keep my rear drums and if so what all do I need to do to them?

Intend to eventually install lift kit and run 35's. Hoping to build a seasonal driver with limited beach and light trail use.

I have read most of the posts about this and still have an unclear picture of the benefits versus the headaches of a disc swap. Do I want to buy this:

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/BroncoConnection/-strse-434/Brakes-dsh--9"-rear-axle/Detail.bok

If so, how do I know if I have a "big bearing" or "small bearing" 9" rear. Also how do I know if I need the 10x2.5", 11x1.75", or 11x2.25" brake kit?

Or should I just have the existing drums "rebuilt". I'm really not even sure what that means. I suspect they change all the springs and other components inside the drum.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Welcome! Sounds like you have a great project started there! As far as rear discs go, unless you have lots of extra $ sitting around, I don't see a reason to go discs in the rear. I have the same setup as you, discs in front and drums in rear and 35s and the thing stops just fine. I don't even have a brake booster and my wife drives it with no complaints. If the drums are good, a full brake job on the rears is pretty cheap. Any parts shop should have all the parts you need including a new spring set and new pads (and normally cheaper than the kits offered by the vendors here).

This is a good tech article on how to tell which setup you have: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/bronco_rear_axle

Here are examples of the hardware you would need. You may not need all of it if you can salvage some of what you have:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...-Brake_5312248-P_354_R|GRPBRHWAMS_60525718___
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...Brake_18310258-P_367_R|GRPBRHWAMS_20953146___
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...orque_5640466-P_232_R|GRPBRHYAMS_716182708___
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...lver_5451264-P_220_R|GRPBRCOAMS_1641437008___

Here are some pics that show before and after rebuild.

Attachments

• CIMG4912.jpg
    CIMG4912.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 77
  • CIMG4976.jpg
    CIMG4976.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Bartonatl

Loc.
Atlanta
I am working on my axles and brakes right now. Measure the dimensions of your brake shoes. 11" shoes and you have big axles. Inexpensive rebuild kit (9$) comes with springs. The wheel cylinder, if it is not leaking, should be ok. They can get pricey. Like anything else, do you want it to work, or do you want it to look like new. It just costs money. You pulling your axles and getting new bearings or just a brake job?
I have 35's with drums on front and back. Not concerned with changing them just yet and if I do I will only change the front.

Bartonatl

Loc.
Atlanta
If you are taking your rig to a shop, I'm sure they will replace everything and they will probably tell you that your drums are toast. It's what they do and it's how they make money. "it could turn into a real brake system nightmare, easily doubling or tripling the cost of the job. That's why we recommend you bring it in today for a complete brake system evaluation"......beware

OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
I am working on my axles and brakes right now. Measure the dimensions of your brake shoes. 11" shoes and you have big axles. Inexpensive rebuild kit (9$) comes with springs. The wheel cylinder, if it is not leaking, should be ok. They can get pricey. Like anything else, do you want it to work, or do you want it to look like new. It just costs money. You pulling your axles and getting new bearings or just a brake job?
I have 35's with drums on front and back. Not concerned with changing them just yet and if I do I will only change the front.

I'm not really sure what I'm doing to be honest. I was told the Bronco didn't stop so I'm trying to get together all the parts I'll need to fix that problem at a minimum. Should I order new bearings and axle shafts also?

Is there anything else I should consider doing while I have it taken apart?

Are both bearings and axles shafts something I can get at Advanced or will I need to order those online?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
If you are taking your rig to a shop, I'm sure they will replace everything and they will probably tell you that your drums are toast. It's what they do and it's how they make money. "it could turn into a real brake system nightmare, easily doubling or tripling the cost of the job. That's why we recommend you bring it in today for a complete brake system evaluation"......beware

I want to do all the work myself however I have never worked a minute on a car in my life. I have some friends who are marginally competent I believe.

Bartonatl

Loc.
Atlanta
If it does not stop, it could be the master cylinder. Could be many things. When you press the brake pedal, does it go to the floor? Is it spongey? Is is crisp and tight when you pump the pedal? Does it have brake fluid?? Only you know what you can do. Right now, I would only worry about the brakes. Don't get into the axles. Stopping is very important. For axle info, see the recent post :"axle seals" and "axle bearings...what now" from last week.

OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
If it does not stop, it could be the master cylinder. Could be many things. When you press the brake pedal, does it go to the floor? Is it spongey? Is is crisp and tight when you pump the pedal? Does it have brake fluid?? Only you know what you can do. Right now, I would only worry about the brakes. Don't get into the axles. Stopping is very important. For axle info, see the recent post :"axle seals" and "axle bearings...what now" from last week.

Very helpful. Thanks!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Unless you're building a show car, I can't see a need to go to rear discs. The rear brakes do such a small part of the stopping. In fact the only problem I've encountered with front drum brakes is brake pull. I havn't seen a shoe arcing machine for years.

OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Unless you're building a show car, I can't see a need to go to rear discs. The rear brakes do such a small part of the stopping. In fact the only problem I've encountered with front drum brakes is brake pull. I havn't seen a shoe arcing machine for years.

Great. That's enough feedback for me to stay with the rear drums. Thank you all.

Last edited:

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Stick with the rear drums for now. While that kit you linked too in your first post seems like it would be the easyest (no cleaning, no drum turning, no nothen) just unbolt and bolt the new in! You can pick up individual pieces and reasemble it yourself in a hour or so! Just do one side at a time so you can use the other side as a guide. And have the drums turned. and replace the cylinders there cheep!

Your axle shafts will NOT need replacing nor should your bearings. If when you remove them drums you see alot of grease, oil, and gunk then you should replace outer seals. Maybe thats why they dont work? (geasy brakes dont stop).

Wheel cylinders are 12 bucks each, Hardware kits are 13 bucks both sides, new shoes are 30 bucks both sides, plus maybe 20 bucks to have drums turned. So for about 100 bucks you got exactly what was in that other kit you were looken at (and that was 300?)

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
is it an Explorer? If so I have a 73 and my money says with that gearing you have the big bearing 11x1.75 rear drum

NAPA online is your friend, then buy local.

OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
is it an Explorer? If so I have a 73 and my money says with that gearing you have the big bearing 11x1.75 rear drum

NAPA online is your friend, then buy local.

I don't know...because well, I haven't seen it yet. I'm deployed and bought it off CL without seeing it. How would I know if it were an Explorer and what else could it be?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the word "explorer" is on the glove box.

Thanks for your service, welcome aboard here.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
one thing i found out the hard way was even though i order all new drums, shoes, cylinders, and a spring kit was that after i took the old stuff apart i found out that the spring kit does not include the spring for the emergency brake spreader bar and one was missing. it is the spring on the arm running across from shoe to shoe under the wheel cylinder. only place i could find them was toms bronco parts but after i ordered them i got a catalog from national parts depot and they have them and for less money.

OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Alright, so I'm ordering parts now. I have discovered that I have drum brakes all the way around and would like to keep that for the moment...I think. Do I need:

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product.php?category=115&id=453

Would this mean that I would have "power drum brakes" and is that more desireable than regular drum brakes and if so what else do I need to make that conversion? Should I just go ahead and and drop the cash for the front disc conversion now?

Do I need the "Drum Brake Self Adjuster Kit" for all four drums? What does that even do? Is there anything else I should replace while I have the brakes taken apart. Toms suggest ball joints. What about axle shafts, detroit locker, wheel bearings.

They suggest a lot of things when you add something to your cart...and since I have no idea what most of these things even are or what they do I thought I should ask before I get impulsed into dropping even more loot.

Are all of these parts common enough that I should expect Advanced and Auto Zone to carry them and not even worry about having them shipped from Toms? I find it hysterical that I've never bought an auto part before. That says alot...and none of it is good. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I have power 4 wheel drums and it stops very well with my 32's. When it was manual durms, it didn't stop well at all. I bought the booster, bracket and adjustable rod (off eBey and man what a difference.

The only proble I had when swaping to power drums was getting the front adjusted so it didn't pull left or right when braking. Once I got that sorted out (new adjusters, shoes and springs) I've had no issues. I did this upgrade 10 years ago. I plan to upgrade to disc in the future with a F-150 upgrade but till then, power drums works for me.

Tim

first timer

i found out that the spring kit does not include the spring for the emergency brake spreader bar and one was missing. it is the spring on the arm running across from shoe to shoe under the wheel cylinder. only place i could find them was toms bronco parts but after i ordered them i got a catalog from national parts depot and they have them and for less money.

I had the same probelem finding that spring, I did end up finding it locally at oreillys
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BHH0/H13362.oap?pt=N0265&ppt=C0064

looks like advanced may have it too
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...-Brake_5310113-P_360_R|GRPBRHWAMS_47839338___

a pain in the ass for such a small/cheap item

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
Big Lou, you said you are deployed. Do you know where you will be when you finish your current deployment? Many U. S Military Bases have Auto Hobby Shops. These shops have mechanics to advise / assist. They also have some classes. They sell some parts and can turn brake drums etc. They have most if not all the tools you will need. There were always service member’s offering to help whenever I used the shop. You can use the shop as long as you need to for a very reasonable daily rate. I used to pay $8.00 a day, 5 days a week. It is surely a little more now but still a very good deal.
JMO hold off buying lots of parts till you know what is really needed.

OP
OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
So after countless man hours reading and shopping I am still mind bottled. Four wheel power disc conversion will run me $3000 installed and that was the family rate I was told. I'll be looking for a shade tree and a donor vehicle soon.

Yes, Fort Bragg and Camp Lejuene have wonderful auto shops but they are both too from my home to be of practical use on a non-driver.

Nominees for disc brake donor vehicles?

Last edited: