• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Keeping header bolts tight

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
Ok, has anyone used loctite or something similar to keep header bolts tight? I am running the stage 8 bolts, but they are a pain, and the don't stay totally tight. They can still backout until they contact the retaining clip, plus they are just tough to install. Any suggestions??

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure about loctite. especially if you were using aluminum heads. I have the stage 8 bolts on mine and haven't had a problem with them getting loose like the regular header bolts. I agree ..they are a pain, but so far mine have worked well.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
there is another header bolt that locks via an internal hex screw. I too had a heck of a time with the stage 8's and did alot of grinding to make them fit well. Do not use loctite. Use never sieze only on header bolts. the trick is to torque them then run the truck until at operating temp and retorque. I also use the aluminum squish gasket too. BI

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Do not use Loctite on header bolts!

The easiest way to keep them tight is to use dead soft aluminum gaskets as they don't contract like paper gaskets do. They also don't blow out if a bolt loosens up. I usually tighten my bolts once or twice a year so I don't really see the utility in spending a boatload of money on locking bolts that are a pain in the ass to install.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Last set of headers I ran I had no problem. Secret? Simple, Safety wire. Picked up a set of ARP header bolts for a big block Chevy that were already drilled for safety wire (same as a small block ford). Then when I put them on I wired them across the tube. No rattles like the stage 8’s are known for. Fairly cost effective as well. Completely reusable (just need new wire). Field serviceable without special tools.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I agree with the safety wire. If it works on my airplane its gotta work on the truck. Almost all the critical nuts and bolts on my truck are wired.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I have copper gaskets that are usable for a lifetime, and as said only check a couple times a year after the first warm up and retight.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>>> as said definetly don't use loctite , use plenty of anti seize to make sure the head threads stay perfect ....the best gaskets I've ever used that don't leak or loosen with regular bolts are the pressure master header gaskets sold by Earls .... these gaskets made by the Parker Hannifin Corporation for them feature a aluminum retainer with replaceable graphite foil inserts...... http://www.holley.com/data/Catalogs/Sealing Systems.pdf.

Attachments

• P5151470.JPG
    P5151470.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 52

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
>>>>> as said definetly don't use loctite , use plenty of anti seize to make sure the head threads stay perfect ....the best gaskets I've ever used that don't leak or loosen with regular bolts are the pressure master header gaskets sold by Earls .... these gaskets made by the Parker Hannifin Corporation for them feature a aluminum retainer with replaceable graphite foil inserts...... http://www.holley.com/data/Catalogs/Sealing Systems.pdf.

I use the same Earls gaskets and regular SS 3/8 head ARP header bolts. Mine hhavent backed out in two years of daily driving .

OP
OP
mountainview68

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
Last set of headers I ran I had no problem. Secret? Simple, Safety wire. Picked up a set of ARP header bolts for a big block Chevy that were already drilled for safety wire (same as a small block ford). Then when I put them on I wired them across the tube. No rattles like the stage 8’s are known for. Fairly cost effective as well. Completely reusable (just need new wire). Field serviceable without special tools.

Did you buy the special pliers???

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
to do it right it takes special safety wire pliers. you can find some cheap ones at the discount tool stores such as northern for about 20 bucks.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D :D :D This is what I do works very good. The headers were put on in 86 and not touched since. I use a allen bolt with a nilon insert on the threads. I wet the gaskit and install torque down start motor run till hot and then retorque and let cool till cold and do it once more and you will be good to go. This has worked for me for over 40 years good luck.:p :p :p Bill ;D :cool: :D

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
I had this same header bolt coming loose problem for quite some time. Finally I tried a nickle based anti-seize compound and never had another issue. I use it on everything now. It's all about properly stretching (loading) a bolt.

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
The nickle anti sieze and silver are good, but DO NOT use any copper on your aluminum heads. The copper causes the aluminum to corrodes. Per the metalurgest at my work. She said the non metallic anti-sieze by loctite might be better then these two as it takes the two different types of metals out of the equation.

By the way I have ARP with safety wire.