• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kill Switch/antitheft

turtle

Loc.
Louisville, KY
A buddy of mine just had his musclecar stolen out of his driveway. He's obviously devastated. He had talked about installing a kill switch in it, but never got around to it. I keep my EB in the garage, but still. . .

Have anyone put a kill switch in your EB. How big of a modification is this? Where are some good places to hide it? Any tips would help.

Any other tips or devices used. I usually have the top off, so access to the cab is obviously easy.

I know if a good car thief wants your car they will get it, but hopefully something like this could deter the amateur.

Thanks

Heus33

Bronco Guru
turtle,
There are some good posts about this if you use the search button.

Personally I recommend NOT posting about where you put your antitheft devices - thieves have been known to troll sites like these to 'research' potential targets.

Telling everyone your super secret kill switch is mounted in the coolest place that no one will ever find, right under your seat - really doesn't make it super secret anymore does it?

302fix

Contributor
Yes keep it a secret!
Lots of ways to go about doing it (although 2badrotties may be the best).

Peep this:
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/wiring_accessories.html
What kind of jerk would steal your ride? Want to make him feel like "Road Kill "?

When our kit is turned on, it will allow the car to start and run for just 10 seconds. Then all of a sudden the car stops dead and your horn (or alarm horn, not provided) goes off! Deceptively lets him think he's got it made then kills the ignition and blasts the horn to get the world's attention like no car alarm will. Includes 10 second timer, ignition relay, System On/Off toggle switch, horn feed (horn not included) and instructions.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I once saw an advertised product that allowed you to lock down your brakes using a valve. The valve was activated and deactivated using one of those round keys like vending machines use.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
You could also have it start a recording blasting some of the following

"HELP ME HELP ME IM BEING STOLEN"
"THIEF" "THIEF" "THIEF"
"CALL 911"
"DANGER WILL RODGERS DANGER"....YOU MAY SUB IN YOUR NAME HERE!

OR

"RUN THIEF RUN IM TELLING MY DADDY ON YOU!".........AND BOY WHEN HE GETS HERE!

This was all in fun Im bored and tired!

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the drive for xx seconds and dies + horn. I picked up a normally open 1000 amp relay from work I want to use in this endeavor, just haven't worked it all out yet.

doghauler

Loc.
Western WA State
I've had a car stolen, 66 Mustang. Ended up getting it back, but made me paranoid. My bronco has an MSD ignition which has a lead you can ground for ignition kill. Engine will crank but no spark. I also have a battery cutout switch (hidden) that kills the power to the starter and ignition but the stereo stays powered so I don't lose the clock and all the presets everytime.....

If they want it bad enough they'll take it, but the harder you make it the less likely they will mess with it....at least that's what I hope!

doghauler

Loc.
Western WA State
I also have one of these

Attachments

• 11175.jpg
    11175.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 12

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Here's one of several that I have. I hooked up a wire to the brake switch, going to a hidden switch in my tuffy console, then it goes to a relay. The relay goes to a 139db horn that's kind of hard to find.

Result, when the switch is on, if you hit the brakes, the horn blasts loud as snot. It's VERY noticable! Next I want to hook up a strobe inside the cab that would also blind you when the brakes are hit!

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
When our kit is turned on, it will allow the car to start and run for just 10 seconds. Then all of a sudden the car stops dead and your horn (or alarm horn, not provided) goes off! Deceptively lets him think he's got it made then kills the ignition and blasts the horn to get the world's attention like no car alarm will. Includes 10 second timer, ignition relay, System On/Off toggle switch, horn feed (horn not included) and instructions.

Hmmm... I wonder if you could use the horn feed to activate a taser built in to the drivers seat? :eek: :-X

turtle - there is a wire from the ignition switch that runs to the coil, and is 'hot' when the key is in the on position. If you add a toggle switch between the ignition switch and the coil then you won't get any spark when the toggle switch is off. The engine will crank, but no spark. It's up to you where you hide the toggle switch.

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Another way is to use a "hidden" switch and a Bosch-style relay. You gotta cut the wire going to the starter solenoid and wire ignition switch side to terminal 30 and solenoid side to 87a. Then take a ground "signal" from your switch to terminal 85 of the relay and put constant 12V+ to terminal 86. When the switch is off, the relay will be in a normally closed position allowing voltage to go from ignition switch to starter solenoid. Energizing the coil by flipping your hidden switch will open the coil, interrupting power from the ignition switch. I do it like this all the time installing car alarms and it works like a champ.

All you need to do is find a good place to hide the switch and relay, and your golden. Good luck.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
cbearly I had that thought! but we'd get sued by the crooks for that one!

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
cbearly I had that thought! but we'd get sued by the crooks for that one!

You're probably right. It sure would be fun to watch though - they start to pull out when the engine dies and they get about a 3 second jolt from the taser. You'd definitely want the driver seat to be water proof. ;D

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I still think a steering or drivetrain lock is more effective as alot of stollen vehicle are towed away.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You're probably right. It sure would be fun to watch though - they start to pull out when the engine dies and they get about a 3 second jolt from the taser. You'd definitely want the driver seat to be water proof. ;D

How about something that discharges mace in the face of the driver.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wouldn't an energized relay to open the ignition circuit drain the battery? It would make more sense to use it in the opposite manner, have the circuit complete when the relay is enrgized, i.e. when you are using the car.

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
wouldn't an energized relay to open the ignition circuit drain the battery? It would make more sense to use it in the opposite manner, have the circuit complete when the relay is enrgized, i.e. when you are using the car.

Or that way too. I've personally never had a problem with a relay draining the battery, but thats not to say it couldnt happen. I'm not sure right off the top of my head what current a relay draws, but I think its somewhere in the micro-amp range.