• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kill switch

micon

Any ideas on kill switch? Thinking something that interrupts power to starter. 73 bronco 302

BroncoLew

Loc.
Alabama
What about a battery disconnect switch? You could mount it behind the dash so you don't have to pop the hood each time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What engine? Stock with carburetor and points? Electronic ignition? EFI with computer? Standard starter relay on the wheel well?

Dual tanks?
Auto or 3-on-the-tree?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
On a vehicle that I've since sold I used a Hella battery switch with the removable 'key'. I put the switch in the ground cable between the battery and the engine block. I then wired across the switch with a 2A fuse. That way any memory keep-alive needs were met, but trying to start the car w/o the 'key' in the switch would blow the fuse and then nothing would work.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
A kill switch on the starter won't kill anything but cranking. It will not kill the engine, or disconnect the battery, or prevent push-starting, or prevent cranking with common jumper cables.

So before we can really give you any suggestions, you have to tell us exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

You should put ALL your truck's details & history (as much as you know) into your signature(<-click that) so it shows with each post, as this page explains:

(click this text)

Phone apps don't always show signatures, so you may need to switch to a real browser in desktop mode on your phone, or just use a desktop/laptop computer. Put your location (nearest city) in your profile &/or signature, & upload an avatar of the truck. Not all its details are relevant to these issues, but you don't necessarily know which ones are relevant, so just put everything in now. The more pics you post (NOT in your sig) of the truck, engine, wiring, labels, & undercarriage, the more likely we can help you.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Can’t speak as to Android phones, but if you rotate an iPhone sideways, it shows the signature line. At least mine does.

Randy

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Just add a hidden ignition kill switch Or remove the coil plug OR switch the coil wire and a plug wire.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I put a switch in line to the coil to kill the power. Hid the switch under the dash in easy reach from the driver’s seat. Unless you are familiar with my custom engine harness you’ll never find the extra wire especially in a hurry. Also my steering wheel is removable so it goes with me if I’m anywhere but home.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
When I used to have factory dual gas tanks my "kill switch" was to turn the tank selector switch to the "in-between" position. This blocks both tanks from the carb, so if stolen the Bronco would drive for about 1/4 mile before running out of gas. Thief panics and runs. That's the theory anyway. Luckily no one ever tried to steal my Bronco to test it.

Took 2 seconds to reach down and flip the switch and only a fellow Bronco owner would even know it's there.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Can’t speak as to Android phones, but if you rotate an iPhone sideways, it shows the signature line. At least mine does.
Works the same with Android phones. The signatures are only hidden when the screen is at it's absolute smallest (ie. a phone in portrait mode)

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Seems that most of the horror stories I hear about classic cars getting stolen is the thieves using flat bed tow trucks. Pull right up and drag it up with the winch and gone in a minutes time.

I still have my column shift so not really worried about someone actually driving off with it. But if I'm parking it for more than a hour or so, I'm with Jon and turn the tank switch up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We were talking about the old Jacob‘s ignitions in another thread recently. I remember they had a middle position on their switch (stock-off-CD box) that let the engine run the for just a few seconds or minutes, then killed it dead.
Same result as the running out of gas part.