• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LAST CALL...1st Annual MEB Wrench & Roast, July 19th!

chris

No more Rock Crawler
uh..I'm sure I meant to say that maybe you could hand me a beer once in a while while I turn the pig..yeah..that's it..that's what I meant...why of course it is:p

Busted..again

Here go the thread hijackers again.%)

The kids and I will be up for the day.

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
Ok who can pick me up???? don't think I'll have gas money for the trip, but told Allen I'd surely try to be there to help him....We've got a bet on who gets done first, but even with that I want tohelp my bud out....
I'm close to 70/81.......

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Reminder...Please RSVP by the 7th if possible!

Check with our wife/husband/significant other, doctor, lawyer or probation officer if needed, but please let me know by Monday the 7th if you plan to attend (and how many will be with you) so I know if we have enough to roast a pig or If I should start planning something else. So, when you and the family are together this weekend, see who is up for a roadtrip to Dover, PA on the 19th for the Wrench & Roast!

Thanks,
Drew

71 BRNCO

Drew,

I should be up for most of the day on Saturday. It will just be me. Happy to help with axle stuff. Thanks

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Tonights handywork thanks to Broncoloupy...

Scoop & Ransil, you guys are now officially good to go!;D As promised, I now have your RV hookups in thanks to Broncoloupy (for wiring it all in) and campgroundguy (for giving me an extra RV box from Bluerocks).

Lou and I also got the lights installed over all the doors tonight, so there will be plenty of light out there now. I took a few pics with all the new lights, but my camera did not take those worth a damn!

Here is a pic of the panel I designed for the box Jed gave me. I drew it up in CAD and had one of my suppliers laser cut it from 14Ga brushed stainless. He then put it on one of his CNC routers and engraved all the text and then highlighted the engraved text with black epoxy. He does some really sweet work! I'm hoping to get him to make some various Bronco parts that I have designs for in the future.

I took these after dark so the flash makes it hard to read and really shows all the smudges from installing it! It has a shop air outlet, 220V 50A for my MIG, plasma, or steam cleaner, 120V 30A for the RVs, and a 120V 20A for general use. This is the box on the back end of the building where my extended parking area will be. On the front, I just put a 120V 30A RV outlet in a low profile wet box and will be putting a similar 120V 20A above it soon. I did not want a big box hanging off the front (road side) of the building.

Now if I can just get some more things finished inside the shop and clean the pig stye up, I might be ready in time! Not much time left!:eek:

Looks like there might be 30-40 adults and 8-10 kids attending the Wrench & Roast so far.

If anyone plans on coming and has not let me know yet, PLEASE DO SO ASAP!

Attachments

• CIMG4724.JPG
    CIMG4724.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 16
  • CIMG4726.JPG
    CIMG4726.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 25

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Scoop & Ransil, you guys are now officially good to go!;D As promised, I now have your RV hookups in thanks to Broncoloupy (for wiring it all in) and campgroundguy (for giving me an extra RV box from Bluerocks).

Awesome! So both of use can run AC without the entire city of Dover blacking out? ;D

Thanks, Lou and Jed.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Well, you two can fight over the 50A's available! ;D

I have to dig a trench so Lou can run new 200A service and I can get water and septic lines run in it as well for a bathroom/shower addition.

Maybe next month for a roughed in trench if I'm lucky! I'm trying to get Randy to haul my cousins skid loader trencher attachment out from Pittsburgh along with the pig roaster we'll be using!

I'm not sure why someone would build a shop that big and only run 50A? ?:? The PO used it mainly for parking, no working like I am, so I guess it fit his needs, but certainly not mine. :(

In the year I have had it I have added a ton of potential loads, so an upgrade is inevitable!

cesco

the custom panel cover looks awesome.... i bet i could market some of those;D

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
water, septic, electric all in the same trench:eek: :p

Yeah, I was hoping to dig one trench to minimize the work and tearing up the yard. Not sure what it would matter if I have the septic line on bottom then water line run next to or on top, then a conduit with electrical, cable/interne, phone, etc.).

If I were to dig two trenches, how far apart to make it "OK"?

I need to talk with a plumber before I go to far. Need to see what pipe size is recomended, how much fall I need, how deep, and if I need a grinder pump up at the buiding.

The shop is about 125'-150' from my septic tank, and the shop floor is probably 3' higher than the tank inlet. I need to get a transit and check it before I go much further I guess. Anyone know how far below the inspection cap the inlet is on most septics? How do you tie a new pipe into the existing tank?

I really want to put a bathroom and shower out there since I only have one in the house. It's just me living here, but it would be nice when I have things like the Wrench & Roast as well as when I am coverd with grease and do not want to slop up the house!

A used washer and drier would also be sweet to put in the garage to wash rags and greasy work clothes insted of running them through my new machines!

Little by little it's getting there.....

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
the custom panel cover looks awesome.... i bet i could market some of those;D

Thanks! I like doing little custom stuff like that to make it stand out. Some of my buddies rag me about how anal I can be about little details since it takes me a long time to get stuff done sometimes, but I enjoy it so that's all that really matters I guess ;D ! .

If you ever want to get something like that made, let me know. The guy is really good. He does lots of Mil-Spec work and does all the sinage for Johns Hopkins and other institutions. Basicaly started as a sign engraving and screen printing shop and has evolved to include much of a full blown sheetmetal/fab shop. He just invested $600K in a new CNC laser and 150 ton CNC brake which are really sweet. Man, I would love to have those!

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Anyone got some good recipes for roasting a pig?

Ransil is bringing a charcoal/wood fired roaster from my cousin who lives out his way. It has an electric rotisserie and lid (made from a 275 gallong oil tank). The plan is to get a 100# pig and maybe try throwing a turkey on the spit as well along with corn on the cob, cole slaw and desert.

It's been some time since I did one of these and I can't recall how we seasoned them. As a kid I recall inserting cloves of garlic under the skin of the pigs and lambs we did for the bird dog club's field trials. I was thinking of using an injectable marinade like Keeler used on the deep fried turkeys at the Roundup this year. Dman those were good!

I also remember wraping the pig in chicken wire then wraping that with safety wire or bailing wire to keep it all togher as it approaches being fully cooked, so I will have to pick up some chicken wire for that (always have safety wire! ;D )

Randy and I also have a plan for lunch, so we'll be providing that as well. Good old western PA chipped ham BBQ sandwiches, potato salad, chips, etc.

Damn, typing all that made me hungry now! ;D

cesco

I would only dig 1 ditch.. I know you're not supposed to do it that way but it saves from having a big mess through your yard. I can ask a couple of the contractors that come into the store about the sewer line, but I was thinking that you can go to 1" of drop in 10' and you should not need a grinder pump.. but I'll do some asking for you and let you know...

don't know anything about roasting a pig.. we are doing 2 150lb pigs this weekend for a customer appreciation ride/party for the bike shop. we have someone that takes care of all the cooking for beer;D .. the cookers that they have uses water to steam it so it does not need to be turned and then they build a fire under the cooker, the cooker has vents in it to catch some of the smoke to give it some flavor..

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone got some good recipes for roasting a pig?

Ransil is bringing a charcoal/wood fired roaster from my cousin who lives out his way. It has an electric rotisserie and lid (made from a 275 gallong oil tank). The plan is to get a 100# pig and maybe try throwing a turkey on the spit as well along with corn on the cob, cole slaw and desert.

It's been some time since I did one of these and I can't recall how we seasoned them. As a kid I recall inserting cloves of garlic under the skin of the pigs and lambs we did for the bird dog club's field trials. I was thinking of using an injectable marinade like Keeler used on the deep fried turkeys at the Roundup this year. Dman those were good!

I also remember wraping the pig in chicken wire then wraping that with safety wire or bailing wire to keep it all togher as it approaches being fully cooked, so I will have to pick up some chicken wire for that (always have safety wire! ;D )

Randy and I also have a plan for lunch, so we'll be providing that as well. Good old western PA chipped ham BBQ sandwiches, potato salad, chips, etc.

Damn, typing all that made me hungry now! ;D

Here is how I do my pig every year (27th annual roast coming up this year)on same spit cooker you described. You use bailing wire to tie the backbone firmly to the spit. Fill the body cavity with apples, pears, oranges, onions and pineapple, cutting some only in to big chunks, leave rest whole. Use tie wire to neatly 'sew up' the body cavity after stuffing it. Tiightly wrap the outside of the pig in 18" chicken wire (rabbit wire its also called) with lots of overlap on the wraps. Figure about 8-9 hours cooking time for 100# pig. While cooking, periodically make twists in the rabbit wire with pliers to keep it tight on the carcass as it cooks out.

If you have to do more than take the rabbit wire off and give the spit a good shaking to get all the meat off the bones..it weren't fully done. Properly done, it will be a loose 'bag full' of meat turning in a wire bag just before it comes off.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Looks like we have a newly designated Spit Master! So Bill, what time are you getting there to prep the pig and light it off! ;) ;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like we have a newly designated Spit Master! So Bill, what time are you getting there to prep the pig and light it off! ;) ;D

I only do one a year.:p

I figger we'll be rolling in sometime Friday evening....