• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Latest Serp conversion questions

pbwcr

Help needed
1) Fan clutch.
What I have today is a Hayden 2794 clutch, the 11 blade fan and Flowcooler pump. Distance from stock copper radiator to clutch is 1.17" fan is 1/8" inside shroud.
Has anyone found a clutch that mounts 1/2" to 7/4" deeper?
or
Anyone found an adapter the moves it fwd?
Dimensions of your clutch would sure help
A) front of snout to fan mount
B) front of snout to clutch depth
Still searching, but no results so far.

BTW, don't tell me to modify my shroud - please.

2) I need a part number for the ~135 Amp 4G alternator from DB?

3) What is the part number the BCB AC compressor bracket for Explorer bracket to Sanden 508?
More questions later
Thanks for your help, Paul Wilson

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you saying you have 1.17" before the fan hits the radiator fins, yet you want to take away up to 3/4 of an inch of that? Seems like a bad trade-off to me.
I'd rather live with the 1/8" inside the shroud than lose any more clearance to the radiator.

But then, in my case I would not really be worried about it because I'd just modify the shroud...:cool:;):p;D%)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And just so we're clear, is the #2794 clutch for the Explorer? And the fan you're using is an Explorer fan?
Trying to figure out why you have such a mis-match since many are running that setup with stock shrouds and do not have that clearance issue (I don't think).

Then again, maybe that's why the full-circle shrouds are so popular. Maybe the lower part of the shroud is not encompassing the fan that much (it is pretty close to the radiator at that point) and that's what you're dealing with.
I'll go look at mine but I don't have a stock shroud, so not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Sorry don't have part numbers for you. Never bought anything from DB Electric and have not checked out their site to see if it's listed.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
pbwcr

pbwcr

Yes, I want the fan to be efficient and that means 1/3 -1/2 of the blade inside the shroud. This is a proven goal as a result of testing by the fan companies. The blades are further from the radiator. The fins of the clutch is the measured clearance.
PaulW
=== ===
Are you saying you have 1.17" before the fan hits the radiator fins, yet you want to take away up to 3/4 of an inch of that? Seems like a bad trade-off to me.
I'd rather live with the 1/8" inside the shroud than lose any more clearance to the radiator.

But then, in my case I would not really be worried about it because I'd just modify the shroud...:cool:;):p;D%)

Paul

OP
OP
pbwcr

pbwcr

Yes, the 2794 is the "severe duty" clutch for an Explorer. Probably there ae others that I cannot get the dimensions for.
Fan is oem Explorer - 11 blade. One of the options like the 10 blade, etc.
From my reading most swaps move the shroud aft. Hard to do for my install with my 1" motor lift that the HD motor mounts gave me. Right now I have a tight/close fit to the rad and it would be a pain to reconstruct it.
My inexperience led me to believe that something like 1/2 to 3/4" rad clearance would be adequate. Hard to find actual data that others have for clearance.
==
And just so we're clear, is the #2794 clutch for the Explorer? And the fan you're using is an Explorer fan?
Trying to figure out why you have such a mis-match since many are running that setup with stock shrouds and do not have that clearance issue (I don't think).

Then again, maybe that's why the full-circle shrouds are so popular. Maybe the lower part of the shroud is not encompassing the fan that much (it is pretty close to the radiator at that point) and that's what you're dealing with.
I'll go look at mine but I don't have a stock shroud, so not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Sorry don't have part numbers for you. Never bought anything from DB Electric and have not checked out their site to see if it's listed.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That clearance is probably more than sufficient for the fins of the clutch. Not enough for a fan blade though, in general terms.

For the fan you want as much as possible because of potential flex. Both of the fan blades when hitting something like water, or the frame when twisting over rocks and odd terrain.
Neither of which is usually an issue with most these days, as not all Broncos see any off-roading.
For those that do however, they might seem like they're far enough away even when really close, but plenty of people can attest to the fact that it's not always enough, with their destroyed radiator cores as examples.
Unlike the fan depth-within-the-shroud standards though, I don't think there have been many "this is the exact minimum" statements made though. Just generalizations.

So if you're not off-roading, and since that is just the tip of the clutch that is facing the radiator and the fan is rearward of that, a 1/2" clearance seems more doable than if that was a fan blade.

Paul

OP
OP
pbwcr

pbwcr

Thanks for your input.
Found the correct alternator for the explorer bracket

PDQ

Contributor
Serp follow up question for you, I just converted to the same front dress on a 5.0 block, 28oz balance, and my 6.4" balancer just barely clears the water pump. Is this normal and/or correct? Thanks