• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Laws-running with no doors

71 BRNCO

So I recently got pulled over for running without doors and to be measured for Maryland State Lift laws. The officer said that the maryland lift law is 28" from bottom of bumper to the ground. Well I got lucky I was only 27" and he also said that I must reinstall my doors as soon as possible. So I kinda gave him a har d time about the doors and I assumed it was not a law as long as you had two mirrors on the vehicle. So does anyone have any idea of the laws in there areas. Finally someone told me that putting street rod tags on my truck would keep me from getting pulled over for these stupid reasons. Whats everyones two cents on these issues. Thanks so much in advance for your responses and I finally sent to become a contributor so pictures should be up soon!!!

kyle

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
How I love when the authorities have nothing better to do with their time. I know someone else here was dealing with the no doors thing. I think if you had some door insert and claimed it was a roadster you could get away with it. Of coarse you'll have to cary some kind of proof that the original radsters came that way and enlighten the authorities with your knowledge. So what about Heeps running no door do they get hassled as well?

OP
OP

71 BRNCO

I asked the same question and he advised that jeeps are illegal as well. I asked the officer to prove to me that i was illegal and I requested him to get out the law book. The paragraph he showed me had some verbage about vehicles must be equiped with certain standard equipment including door handles but said nothing about doors. I wanted to say that broncos came from the factory without doors but in 71 they did not so i figured I might be barking up the wrong tree. Anyone I think I don't need to worry about it because I got pulled over 4 hours from my house at a cruise in weekend at the beach and they just saw that I was a young guy driving a nice truck probably

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Mine has been on the road since 72 with no doors and I have been stoped for a lot of things but never about the doors. I and I only have a 2" lift on it that's in Ca. Az. and Ks. and Mo. Just seems tile he wanted to pull your chain good luck.;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p ( and also mexico but no laws just a few $$)

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
doors

interesting!!

How enlightened can your police be (NOT)

Up here in the frozen north, no such laws. All safety equipment that came with the truck (seat belts) must function but no such other laws.

I got stopped once for this, pointed out the Jeep thing, and said that if he gave me a ticket I would fight it in court. He started to write the ticket and could not find the law that applies. ticket got ripped up. After talking to the cop for a while it was just he was having a bad day and wanted to vent. Yapped for a while, and everything was cool.

TOFIC

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I thought that as long as you had mirrors, you'd be legal... I guess I need to re-think the "no doors" thing. :(

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
Build or get someone to build you some tube doors. You can keep Johnny law happy and you can still see and feel the outside. ;D I do think that blows that the police have nothing better to do than hassel us about having doors when we already have to have a seat belt on when in a moving vehicle.%)

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I've got no doors (but inserts) and still no side view mirrors. No pull overs yet. knock on wood....
I'm on Long Island.
The cops arond here a more worried about the ricers wrapping themselves around 110 yr old oak trees

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the Jeep floor sits below the door sill by 3 or 4 inches. Helps to keep trash, soda cans, legs, feet inside the vehicle. The door sill isn't flush to the floor like it is in the bronco. Just a thought. Don't know if it matters or not. I see plenty of people running around without doors on the bronco around here.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I run no doors down here in the Pomona area with no problems. I put them back on because its cold, but I think it's because we actually have crime that the cops don't harass me about lift laws and crap. I don't know of a law that requires doors in CA, but I'll check for everyone.

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
That would make me mad... I love running with out doors and a top. makes summer more enjoyable. I am surpised that I have no been pulled over, I have no mirrors at all when the doors are off. I am a big ticket waiting to happen with the beast

MountainGuy

Loc.
Athens, Georgia
I've always wondered if there were laws against vehicles without doors. That sucks some pig pulled you over for that crap man. I've been pulled over and had cops walk up to me to get onto me and never had them say anything about my doors or lift. It seems to me that you could go to court and argue your way out of that one pretty easily though. Keep on cruisin' how you want to man!

70bronco

Loc.
Kingsburg, CA
I've had my doors off for over a year now with no hassles. Been cited for no mud flaps. I run a 3" stick-on mirror on my door jamb for when the doors are off and just leave it there when the doors are on. You have to remember that the cops may write the ticket but it's up to the court to decide if it's the law.

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
71 BRNCO said:
So I recently got pulled over for running without doors and to be measured for Maryland State Lift laws.

kyle

Kyle:

Your post really got me wondering so I talked to the police here and a lawyer regarding this subject in Alberta.

Their is NO law againest running without doors in Alberta. The safety equipment issue stands but nothing, NADA about doors. I got a little flack from the police about this but mentioning it had a folding windshield, like a J**p, ended the arguements.

The legal beagle stated it has never been challenged, and to his knowledge little or no enforcement has been done on this issue.

There you have it the quasi offical answer to your question

TOFIC

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
California Laws

As to doors, I can't find anything. Accept for "Un-Safe Vehicle."

Which is a great catch all for anything and everything. Good news is it is just a "Fix-It" ticket.

Awnrie69, get that boyfriend to buy you some mirrors. California requires a driver side and rear view. If the rear window is blocked or tinted? Then a passenger mirror is required too. So if you have both side mirrors you could lose your rear view.

Please check your own local laws.....

Do I sound like a cop? :cool:

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Re: California Laws

Fathom said:
As to doors, I can't find anything. Accept for "Un-Safe Vehicle."

Which is a great catch all for anything and everything. Good news is it is just a "Fix-It" ticket.

Awnrie69, get that boyfriend to buy you some mirrors. California requires a driver side and rear view. If the rear window is blocked or tinted? Then a passenger mirror is required too. So if you have both side mirrors you could lose your rear view.

Please check your own local laws.....

Do I sound like a cop? :cool:

Yes officer!!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Last time I checked I'm pretty sure Oregon only required a rear view mirror. Side mirrors are only required when the rear view mirror is blocked. (I.E. Pulling a trailer)

Awnrie69, You should check the laws on this one as it has been several years since I had an Oregon DL.

As to the doors I have never heard of an Oregon cop hassling anyone about this. I'm pretty sure that just mentioning that several other vehicles including some of the EB's have nothing but removable soft doors would curtail any tickets on this. Jeeps were mentioned here but we should not forget that there are others as well.

In Oregon you are much more likely to get pulled over for mud flaps or tires extending beyond the fenders than anything.

thedirtyneck

Loc.
Blacksburg/Charlotts
71 Brnco, I am not exactly sure about MD but in VA the bumper height rule is 14-22" for a passenger vehicle. If it is a street rod (ie either made before 1949, or manufactured to look like it was, and registered as such) then it drops to 9" for the min but 22" is still the max height.

Now if the vehicle is registered as a truck then the max height for the bumpers is raised to 28". Heavy trucks can increase this limit up to 31" depending on weight.

Note if you have no bumpers the bottom of the frame rail is used for measurments.

Also 3" is the max for a body lift.

For mirrors you have to have atleast one outside and a rearview unless you dont have a back window or it is obstructed. In which case you must have both outside mirrors.

This is in Va.

Brian

67ster

Bronco Guru
I checked with a friend at the Utah DMV and there seems to be some confusion in their laws . It has to do with occupant side impact safety , Heeps are legal because of the height of the rocker , EBs slipped through the cracks as the lawmakers never knew the factory built a roadster . I sent a copy of the original Ford ad showing the roadster and was told to keep it in the vehicle in case I was stopped .