• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf Spring Center Bolt Failure

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
This is a broken leaf spring pack center bolt. This is what happens when you don't keep the spring-to-axle U-bolts torqued! Not only that, but the head sheared off low enough that it dropped into the centering hole. Then the 6 degree shim was able to walk out and disappear!
I spent my last Sunday afternoon replacing the bolt and the shim. I won't be making the mistake of not torquing the U-bolts again, which is the primary reason for the failure. I have no idea how long it has been missing, but accidentally noticed the absence of the shim a week or two ago.
Moral of the story: Always re-check the torque on those U-bolts!

Attachments

• Failed_Leaf_spring_Center_bolt.jpg
    Failed_Leaf_spring_Center_bolt.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 72

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mangle city! Haven't seen one like that in a long time. Good you caught it though.
Was that side making some noise, or did you catch it during an inspection?

Glad you got it.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've seen trailers where the leaf rotates, into the sidewall. Thought the first one was a fluke. After the second one all the bolts got tightened up.

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paul, yes it was during and inspection. But as SteveL suggests there were indicators, just not anything during acceleration or anything that I could easily identify. For a while now (a year?) there seems to have been a tracking problem. I pull into the garage straight but the front was over to the driver’s side. I am anal about getting straight in the garage. But new adjustable track bars and so on did nothing.

Then a few weeks ago I noticed a little usual squiggle in the rear on certain camber situations. But other than that, nothing. In any case, I was looking, yet again to see what might be going on and noticed that the spring pack on the passenger’s side was not as co pressed as the driver’s side. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the 6 degree shim was obvious on the driver’s side…but not on the passenger’s side. Then I further noticed that the nut end of the spring pack center bolt was angled!! And sure enough the U-bolts on that side were not very tight.

So the axle was slipped back a good inch on the passenger side which resulted in tracking like a dog. Now all is good and I am re-newed in my interest in keeping things torqued…again!

A check shows that there are some similar experiences out there and the experts all agree that not keeping the U-bolts torqued properly will do in the center bolt every time. You have been warned!

Last edited: