• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leak from under the dash? carpet in half cab?

fordwheeler

Loc.
Nashville
so yesterday there was a minimal chance of rain and wouldnt you know it, it came a torrential downpour. Well its the first time i've been in rain with the bronco.

I have noticed water in the cab a couple times from washing but i thought it was coming from the door. While driving, water was coming in from under the dash at a pretty steady stream, anyone had this issue before?

also, during the build, a mat was put in with a carpet kind of deal put under that as kind of an insulation it looks like. Does anyone else have it set up like this? should i just rip that carpet out?

Very frustrated that i am leaking water and that it got caught in the rain when my wipers are almost decorative ha.

CobCity

Loc.
Happy Valley
My fresh air vent on the drivers side used to leak like you're talking about. I replaced it with the WH under hood storage Z box and problem solved.

Dannyboy71

My drivers side air vent leaked as well. I removed it and put some grey rtv around it to seal it up. Get under the dash with a flashlight and a towel or something and have someone from the outside spray some water to be sure where its coming from. Also there should be a rubber seal on the back part of your hood that closes against the body. That should help keep some of the water out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Too many places under there for EB's to leak to know for sure.
You can actually have a leak at the top of the windshield frame that flows down through the channel, into the corner of the dash/kick panel and down to the floor.
You could have a rusty cowl area (or even a pre-rusty cowl area) that is open to the outside.
What year is the truck? If a mid-'69 or older where the vacuum wipers were present, there's a nice big hole in the cowl that runs right into the cabin at the windshield frame.
And the vent that the others mentioned is a common source as well. Not just up at the cowl seam, but down at the drain where the rubber boot just sort of disappears over time.

Good luck finding exactly where yours is. But at least it's a big one. Not normally something to be glad about, but the bigger it is the more likely it's easier to find.

Paul

OP
OP
fordwheeler

fordwheeler

Loc.
Nashville
Sorry I have been MIA with travel and my computer had issues right after this post.

Too many places under there for EB's to leak to know for sure.

You could have a rusty cowl area (or even a pre-rusty cowl area) that is open to the outside.

What year is the truck? If a mid-'69 or older where the vacuum wipers were present, there's a nice big hole in the cowl that runs right into the cabin at the windshield frame.

Paul

There shouldnt be any rust on my rig after a full frame off so i dont think a rusty cowl is there

it is a 66 and i do not have the vacuum style wipers hooked up.

The leak is coming from the center of the dash and i know these things can come from anywhere. Thanks for all the input, maybe i should just have someone spray and see where its coming from...may be the only way

mini73

Mine leaks like paul said. From the top of the windshield frame that flows down through the channel, into the corner of the dash/kick panel and down to the floor. First time it rained on me while driving had leaks there. On both sides. Wasn't sure where it was coming from because I have not done any metal work on the bronco yet.I tested my theory with a hose one day. Just put the hose up near the bottom of the windshield and turned the hose on little. The water came right out of those channels on both side. it flowed on the floorboard pretty good. Hope you find a solution. Let us know.