• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking gas around new carb

brian72

Early Bronco Student
installed a new 470 TA and put the felt gasket between it and the performer intake. trying to crank and pouring a little gas in the carb and it is leaking out the bottom sides of the carb. Should there be anything like rtv installed with the gasket?

Why leaking?

brian

ugly74

Bronco abuser
no RTV! in any gasket that will encounter gasoline. it'll turn into useless jelly.
where out of the bottom is it leaking?
I'd check the bowl screws first.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If your pouring it into the butterflies it will leak as once it hits the throttle blades it will run out the shaft and onto the manifold. Nothing is wrong with your carb. Try disconnecting the gas line and pouring some gas in that way so it goes into the fuel bowls.

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
pour gas into where?? I tried opening the butterflies and pouring below them....What am I doing wrong?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If your running a lenght of rubber fuel line to the carb disconnect it and try pouring gas into it so it fills the fuel bowls. That way your fuel bowls have gas in them and will allow the engine to run until the fuel pump gets fuel to the carb either that or get a electric pump. Puoring gas down the carb may get the engine to start for a second but it has no other fuel to draw from so it will die again also your flirting with disaster you could catch the whole truck on fire with a intake backfire.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
broncnaz said:
your flirting with disaster you could catch the whole truck on fire with a intake backfire.
I have seen that first hand, the truck backfired into the bottle of gas he then threw the gas bottle behind him and right onto his son that he had to chase down and tackle him to get the fire out. So do be carefull.

musetech

Loc.
Alexandria
If there is fuel in the bowls, that's enough. Let it do it's job. What else have you changed since you swapped the carb out? Should run crappy at least right out of the box.

Sounds flooded. Gently seat the idle screws and back out 1 turn. Clean the plugs off, check for spark, and hold the throttle wide open to clear the puddled fuel while cranking.

Adjust from there.