• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking gas tank pipe

ParkCityBronco

How can I fix a small dripping leak in the pipe that comes off gas tank? Can I use JBWeld or A rubber spray sealant? Thanks!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Q's...

- is it the actual metal piece that's leaking

- or is it the connection between pipe and hose

- epoxy will hold ONLY if the surfaces area is stooopid clean and I mean CLEAN and then wiped with denatured alcohol...anything less and it will leak. No dirt or residual should show on the white cloth you use to do the final alcohol rub... I did a patch on the top of a gas tank that held for over 4 years that way...

PS...welcome aboard with Post #1... : )

Last edited:

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, any fuel leak is very dangerous and must be fixed right away.
Try to explain or post a picture of the leak.
The main tank has 2 hoses high up, a filler and a vent, connected to a filler tube with rubber hoses.
Also there is a sender in the front, with a rubber hose, connected to the metal fuel line.
Many original tanks rust out under the strap.
Many Broncos have two tanks
Good luck

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Way way back many moons ago I had this problem on the fuel line fitting on my AUX tank. I drained down the tank and removed the sending unit from the tank. then I cleaned the sending unit and soldered up the fitting where it went through the sending unit plate. Doing the soldering required a propane torch, can of flux and acid base lead solder. Done even think of doing this on the tank get a long way from fuel. you will need a new tank O-ring when you put it back together. reusing the old o-ring will almost always cause leaking tank issues. this was done almost 30 years ago and still holding today.

Using epoxy to repair gas leaks used to work with old pure gasoline but wont last long term with the new gasoline formulas being sold these days. I had to replace my epoxy gas tank on my boat because of modern fuels breaking it down.

Once you get this fixed make sure you run enough slack in your fuel line so it doesn't add extra tension on the fittings.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
X2 on make sure to locate the actual leak. Is it a rust hole in the metal filler neck part or a dry rotted rubber line or the connection of the 2? Might be time to replace a part?

In a pinch get some of the sealant called "the right stuff" Ultra black made by Permetex. Works great on my gas tank sending unit drip. I changed the sending unit, the gasket and made sure the locking collar was tight....drip drip when it was full full.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Permatex/775/8...gaArLBEALw_wcB

Auto Zone and O'Reilly's has it.

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Sorry to hijack I have a leak (On of the many things I need to replace) it is from the rubber hose fuel tank filler hose.