• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaks

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
My D-20 that has about 7,000 miles since rebuild recently started leaking. Gear oil collects at the back and I can't tell where it's coming from. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Also, I have the script bronco valve covers and I get oil up through the breather. Is this a poorly designed cover without a baffle or should I start checking compressions? I have enough PCV that it is actually positive at idle -- will hold down a piece of paper.

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
Lots of times the D-20 will leak from the top cover and come down the back. That will make it appear that it's leaking from that area. I would check the cover and the bolts.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
My D-20 that has about 7,000 miles since rebuild recently started leaking. Gear oil collects at the back and I can't tell where it's coming from. Any ideas on where to start looking?

The cover on the rear of the case for the front output shaft has shims underneath it to set bearing pre load. Oil will seep between or around the shims. You will have to remove the cover and shims and spray the shims with an automotive gasket contact sealer and re-assemble. Use a very light coat of sealer so you don't change the bearing pre load and cause other problems. Also seal the bolt threads after you clean the oil out of the bolt holes with q-tips or?