• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LED front turn signals

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
So over the weekend I did the Alice conversion on my 1973, went with clear lens. I have ordered amber led bulbs. Do I need anything else to make them work fine? I know on my 07 F-150 I had to install another blinker dohicky. Thanks Josh

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I put led's all around. Only had to add one resistor to each side (right and left) to add the needed resistance for the blinker relay to work properly. Love the leds and they look great.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Well my front ones came in today, installed and the blinkers seem to work just fine. I wounder if I put some in the front if I'll have to add a resistor.

nrramse

Is it ok to run all LED with stock wiring?

That's what I'm doing. The only standard bulbs I have are the headlights and license plate.

During the daytime I like to drive with the parking lights turned on, but over the years the lenses all discolored (assumably because of the heat from the incandescent bulbs). The LED's generate virtually no heat, so someday when I get new lenses hopefully they'll last a long time.

It might be wishful thinking, but I honestly think my headlights are brighter since I went to LEDs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Vito, welcome!
As for the resistors, you "might", but I'd try one of the newer flasher units first, like G's Baja mentioned above.

You should be able to get one that would work at any local auto parts store, but I'm not sure if it would work with just 2 LED bulbs or if that makes a difference.

I would also make sure that, when you have the lamps apart, you clean up and paint the reflectors with a glossy bright white paint. This gives the light more chances to fill the whole lens, rather than just be one small round point of light behind the lens.
And to that end, try the bulbs that have side-facing LED units too. Or some with very wide beam pattern LEDs.
Using one of the type that simply faces the LED's straight out will end up with just a circle of light.
Not as nice even as standard bulbs in that case.

Paul

11wnb

So over the weekend I did the Alice conversion on my 1973, went with clear lens. I have ordered amber led bulbs. Do I need anything else to make them work fine? I know on my 07 F-150 I had to install another blinker dohicky. Thanks Josh

I did the conversion on my '69. Installed led lamps and I've had no problems.
Didn't need to change the flasher, but those front turn signals are the only led's on my Bronco so far.