• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LED lights for the exterior

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
yeah - but how are your prices compared to those? I think speedway is a little cheaper????

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Autozone is cheap, I sell quality, maybe speedway sells quality also. There are several diff. grades of LED. Speedway showed the 1156 and 1157, your Question was "what else might we need" so like I posted I sell all of the LED for the EB. They may also, I didn't see them.

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Since I own a Bronco I like to buy from a Bronco supplier (aka Chuck). If I owned an AutoZone I'd buy my special stuff them. I'm not saying I don't buy from them, I do try to support my local brothers first. I'll make a statement that many many others will agree with. "Chuck, Debbie and their family are (IMHO) the best Bronco folks out there". We'll miss Chuck at the Moab Safari this year but normally when you see a Two Broncos one of them will be Chuck. He donates some "great" parts to those outings. Money out of his pocket. I've bought those lights from him and will continue to buy as much as I can from him. Sorry Chuck but I do buy my oil from the zone ;D

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
believe me ... chuck gets plenty of my money. Just ran across these LEDs and said to self, hmmm. Sure Quality makes a difference, I don't know the difference...that's part of the problem.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Bart said:
Since I own a Bronco I like to buy from a Bronco supplier (aka Chuck). If I owned an AutoZone I'd buy my special stuff them. I'm not saying I don't buy from them, I do try to support my local brothers first. I'll make a statement that many many others will agree with. "Chuck, Debbie and their family are (IMHO) the best Bronco folks out there". We'll miss Chuck at the Moab Safari this year but normally when you see a Two Broncos one of them will be Chuck. He donates some "great" parts to those outings. Money out of his pocket. I've bought those lights from him and will continue to buy as much as I can from him. Sorry Chuck but I do buy my oil from the zone ;D
Thanks Bart, your check is in the mail, just kidding. I will miss going to Moab this year, it is my favorite place but I am having trouble with my left eye and can't see to finish the wiring in my crawler. It will all be better next year. I cancelled my reservation at the Riverside so if someone else wants to stay there you might give them a call. I hope you'll have a fun and safe time.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
Soory to hear abot your eye - I feel your pain on the wiring though. I currently have no wires in teh Bronco and may not before getting on the trailer for Moab - nothing like wiring it up the night before hitting the trail ;D

Back to the topic - for another LED option there are the full light panels offered by MER-LEDS at http://www.mer-leds.com/led/bronco/ledlights.html They are more expensinve and a bit more work than Chucks though. For a drop in replacement I wouls still go with Chucks LEDs.

brokenhorse

Bronco Builder
Loc.
Wisconsin
Yeah I know it's back from the grave BUT where do you wire the resistors in and why do you need them?
BH
P.S. HI YALL !
:-*

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
The resistor can be added before of after the LED (+ or - side) just as long as it's part of the circuit that powers the light. The reason they're needed is that most LEDs operate at a lower voltage than the vehicles electrical system. If a LED were to be wired in without a resistor of proper value, it would burn out immediately.

71 BRNCO

i installed the LED taillights from chuck. Awesome upgrade. I bought them and order clear because the tailights are already red but then Jason called to tell me the red led's would be brighter ( i hope that is right maybe its backwards) the point is that is customer service. not matter what you will love leds. i plan to do my whole truck eventually. I am doing two round led brake lights flush mounted into my bumper too. No one is going to miss me in front of them

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
71 BRNCO and all,

Speaking of which, what is the concensus on the street: Are third brake lights a pooh-pooh item or do they effect a real diffference in avoidance of rear ending collisions? That would be a simple upgrade using LEDs in the appropriate place, such as above the rear window on the liftgate or at the top of the tailgate.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
RIbronco said:
The resistor can be added before of after the LED (+ or - side) just as long as it's part of the circuit that powers the light. The reason they're needed is that most LEDs operate at a lower voltage than the vehicles electrical system. If a LED were to be wired in without a resistor of proper value, it would burn out immediately.
All my LED's are set up to run on 12 volts, no problem. The resister is needed to make the flasher work. The LEDs take so little power that they do not make enough load to make the flasher work. So you need to wire a resister in parrallel to give enough load to make the flasher work or use a diff. kind of flasher.

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
From the accidents that I see and comments I hear from the people not paying attention- most people 'zone out' while driving on the Interstates and find themselves looking straight ahead in a daze. If you have the 3rd light logic would say that it would be right in the line of sight- Ultimately I would say that it has more to do with where you drive...

71 BRNCO

Well in my logic I think the 3rd brake light is just an extra measure to try to ensure safety. my thinking is that since the stock brake lights on a lifted truck with 35's is pretty high and most commuters use small compact cars having an extra set of brake lights lower would not be a bad idea. I have no factual information to say its better but its just my thought process. Good luck.

Kyle

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
71 BRNCO said:
Well in my logic I think the 3rd brake light is just an extra measure to try to ensure safety. my thinking is that since the stock brake lights on a lifted truck with 35's is pretty high and most commuters use small compact cars having an extra set of brake lights lower would not be a bad idea. I have no factual information to say its better but its just my thought process. Good luck.

Kyle
Being that I drive from 8am untill Midnight, and have observed a noticable difference in what you are describing, You don't need a government Study to prove your theory. I really believe the only bigger brake light safety improvement is if your brake switch was attached to a light mounted on the other guys freaking hood.
:mad:

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
Pictures of LED tail lights with the power on?

Does anyone have some pictures of the LED lights powered up with the lens in place? The bulb style and the custom panel?

It would be cool to see the difference in how the two different styles look powered up.

Thanks,
Greg