• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LED lights for the exterior

71 BRNCO

I could probably get some this weekend. I will try to remember to carry my camera with me next time I go to the folks house and snap a few nighttime pics with the brake lights on.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I like the brake lights in the LAnd ROver bumpers
they really jump out at ya.

I think the lights from a Mitsu Montero bumper would fit.

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Anyone with pics yet? My rear lights could use some better lighting. I was looking to get some ebay specials and put them underneith the lenses, then worry about resistors to unsure it blinks correctly. I've seen alot of these "LED replacement bulbs" but how long do they really last? Also with chucks, how bright are they? I like LEDs as they're brighter and much more noticable.
Thanks

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
RFR2212 said:
Anyone with pics yet? My rear lights could use some better lighting. I was looking to get some ebay specials and put them underneith the lenses, then worry about resistors to unsure it blinks correctly. I've seen alot of these "LED replacement bulbs" but how long do they really last? Also with chucks, how bright are they? I like LEDs as they're brighter and much more noticable.
Thanks
The LED bulbs I run in my trailer have a lifetime warranty on them.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
RFR2212 said:
Thanks
I have BC's set, I didn't take before pics - too hard to catch the right amount of light so it'd show up in a photo - especially if you want a comparison.
They are brighter.
I installed mine a couple months ago so I cannot attest to longevity.
I can say that hooking up the resistors (one for the front and one for the rear) is not difficult. I spliced my resistors into the junction where I did this mod: http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49060&highlight=flasher+mod
Don't be intimidated by wiring. Take your time and do a clean job.
Here's good info by Ryan on soldering wires: http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=7
The hardest part was finding a place to mount the rear resistor in the light well. I could only suggest an inline resistor rather than a large resistor that requires mounting.

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Well, I like the whole light replacement link on the previous page, but at 170 bucks, that's well out of my price range. I've got an add on set of lights that a previous owner did.
215013.jpg

The stock tails are dim, but these are pretty bright. I'm going to build my own bumper and dont want anything attached to it. I also need to redo the bottom of my tail gate. I was thinking, as another good but inexpensive way to remedy the situation, install in the JBG repair panel a set of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Red-...ewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQitemZ8019674450QQrdZ1
Item# 8019674450 incase the link fails

I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative I suppose. I also was thinking about doing the same w/ clear led pods in the tailgate as reverse lights. Not sure that, that would work as well though, since leds seem very directional.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Just one thing to mention about LEDs, and this probably won't matter to 99% of the people here. Big truck drivers are experiencing a minor problem with LEDS. At first they replaced every light on their trailers with them. But for those up in the north it presented a huge safety problem. It seems that since the LED is so much more effiecent it does not heat the lense up enough to remove snow, ice, etc. So their marker lights, which must be visible by law, where getting frozen over. So now what they are doing is replacing/adding all sorts of LEDS, but keeping their marker lights regular bulbs.

As for adding the resistors to make the flashers work, that is almost defeating the purpose of using the LEDs in the first place. You would be better off searching out a controller to flash the LEDs without the resistor in place. With the resistor you still get a very long life bulb, that is super shock resistant, now some of them are even brighter than regular bulbs (i.e. you get what you pay for, and a good reason to go with Chuck as you can trust the quality). But with the resistor you not getting the full power savings available with the LED. With a control unit, if available, you could have the total package.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Mark Troy said:
I have BC's set, I didn't take before pics - too hard to catch the right amount of light so it'd show up in a photo - especially if you want a comparison.
They are brighter.
I installed mine a couple months ago so I cannot attest to longevity.
I can say that hooking up the resistors (one for the front and one for the rear) is not difficult. I spliced my resistors into the junction where I did this mod: http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49060&highlight=flasher+mod
Don't be intimidated by wiring. Take your time and do a clean job.
Here's good info by Ryan on soldering wires: http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=7
The hardest part was finding a place to mount the rear resistor in the light well. I could only suggest an inline resistor rather than a large resistor that requires mounting.
The resistors should be connected to the left and right front turn signals only. The resistors are only used while the turn sigals are on so only draw power when they are on.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
chuck said:
The resistors should be connected to the left and right front turn signals only. The resistors are only used while the turn sigals are on so only draw power when they are on.
Double check that.
The instruction diagram was clear to install one resistor in front to enable both front turn signals (which it does) and one in the rear for the rear turn signals.

BTW the instruction diagram call it a "capacitor" rather than a resistor - big difference

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I guess I need to go over the instructions because the only reason for the resisters is to give the flasher enough load to work. The brake lights do not need load so that is why the resister is only used for the front turn signals.
You are right about the capacitor

72Sport

Bronco Guru
chuck said:
I guess I need to go over the instructions because the only reason for the resisters is to give the flasher enough load to work. The brake lights do not need load so that is why the resister is only used for the front turn signals.
You are right about the capacitor

Will the relay type flasher work without the resistors? I thought I read on the package mine came in that they were not sensitive to the amount of the load on them. They run at the same speed no matter what because the switch timing was in the flasher. This type of flasher does not speed up or slow down when you take things such as a trailer on and off your vehicle. I haven't purchased any led's to try them out.