• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

left me stranded...

Broncology

Ok, was driving home the other night and the old bronc just gave up and died on me. I was on the interstate doing around 65 and suddenly lost all power and the engine shut off. Lights, radio, wipers, etc. still worked. I tried to start it a few times once I got it to the shoulder. It cranks very strong, right up to the point it should fire up. What seems to be the problem? I am thinking it may be the coil, is this correct?

Chuck

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
coil could be the problem!! good luck with that. i've had the same situation happen to me. I was running standard points for a caburated engine and then decided to opt out points.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Check the basics. Pump accelerator to see if fuel squirts in the carb then check for spark.
If it just flat out quit suddenly it should be easy to troubleshoot.

JoeLat

Happened to me once and it was my fuel tank selector. It clogged up so no matter which tank I chose it wouldn't supply fuel.

OP
OP
Broncology

Broncology

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be checking into it later today now that I finally have time. Hopefully its a simple solution. %)

Chuck

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
An engine only needs two things to run (provided everthing is set up correctly).

As mentioned above: they are Fuel & Spark.

If you are getting a nice clean spark at each plug, then it is most likely your fuel pump when out or you have a blockage in the fuel system somewhere.

A complete failure at highway speeds is unlikely an accelarater pump in the carb.

broncotom81

Ignition Module will get you everytime - until its happened to you once before

tom talalaj
These old trucks have very INexpensive ignition control modules. Buy one once you have determined it is not an air or fuel problem. Check the dumb stuff like the coil, and even if it is not it, carry one in the glove box. In one of my experiences, it would have avioded a 200mile tow.
Thomas Talalaj

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you have a stock coil they have a bellows built into the bottom of the can.
Every coil I've had go out has had that bellows popped out.

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
An engine only needs two things to run (provided everthing is set up correctly).

As mentioned above: they are Fuel & Spark.

If you are getting a nice clean spark at each plug, then it is most likely your fuel pump when out or you have a blockage in the fuel system somewhere.

A complete failure at highway speeds is unlikely an accelarater pump in the carb.

dont forget the air!!!!! but that prolly aint the problem ... ignition .... check spark first .....

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
dont forget the air!!!!! but that prolly aint the problem ... ignition .... check spark first .....

Mr. Incredible,

I didn't forget the air, but I didn't figure that someone crawled up under his hood at 60 MPH and duct-taped his air cleaner off. :)

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
The same thing happened to me this past summer. Cruisin down the highway and it just died.

In my case the fuel pump let go on me. Now I carry a spare with me.

ronco

Thomas Talalaj

Tom Talalaj,
Thanks for the advice about checking the coil. Seriously it helped. REALLY??? That small of a problem is what lead to a 200 mile tow. Man alive! I'll be sure to always carry an extra in the glove box, I sure as heck wouldn't want that to happen to me!

broncosRULE

tom talalaj
These old trucks have very INexpensive ignition control modules. Buy one once you have determined it is not an air or fuel problem. Check the dumb stuff like the coil, and even if it is not it, carry one in the glove box. In one of my experiences, it would have avioded a 200mile tow.
Thomas Talalaj

Thomas Talalaj,
if you don't mind me asking, how much did that tow set you back???