• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Legacy question- NWMP 12 gallon aux tank

PDQ

Contributor
I was fortunate to find a unicorn in an original NWMP 12 gallon aux tank. For any of the legends that either still have one or had one, do you know if it used a special sending unit or one from another standard tank? And how did it mount? Its got flanges on both ends so I'm thinking the rear may use some similar hooks or all-thread but really unsure of the front.

Nvrstk? Rustytruck?

Any tips or tricks or advice is welcomed.

(And yes new rear tanks hold 23 gallons, I just like the uniqueness of the two tank system still.)

Thanks as always

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
probably a good reason to go to 23, and not have a tank at your side, is zero side impact protection. Thats one of my legacy memories on why we went with just one in back. But as a trail rig it would be pretty cool.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For any of the legends that either still have one or had one, do you know if it used a special sending unit or one from another standard tank?
Look up our #9709 12gal sending unit. Should fill the bill.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
Back in the day..... Some replaced the Aux 8 gal. tank for the MWMP 12 gal. tank AND replaced the Rear/Main tank for the MWMP 23 gal. tank.....

Factory = 20 gals. VS Aftermarket = 35 gals

Because .... in The Old Days............Alot of US went 4 Wheeling .......

Now a days, it's easier, to fill 1 - 23 gal tank and carry an Extra Gas Can

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Who even carries an extra can anymore!
Some would like to overland with their Broncos I would think, so in those cases two tanks AND a spare 5-gal can would be a good thing.

I'm still a big fan of dual tanks. For multiple reasons...
One of which is that my gas gauge circuit failed on me last year and is being a butt to find where the fault is. But I still want to drive and even though I do keep track of miles driven, I'm not always spot on when a gas station is nearby.
And that's just one reason I'd like to have two tanks. An extra 200 miles of travel before filling up would be another big bonus!

Paul

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Measure the depth and order a tanks Inc linear fuel sender with the correct Ford ohms. It will last much, much longer and be more accurate.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I have one of the last ones, installed a couple of years ago. I did some fairly significant mods to it because I didn't want to drill holes in the floor at the front, among other things, to install it. Because I was able to get a complete kit it included the sender. I believe it was a Stewart Warner sender but don't quote me on that. In any case several years later it works fine, and between the 23 gallon NWMP main tank and the aux tank I'm happy to have all the fuel that I can carry. Even with that, I have a 5 gallon jerry can on the bumper, and at times I've needed it.

OP
OP
P

PDQ

Contributor
Thanks for the support and Paul, very cool you still carry the sending unit! Hy, I followed along here with what I think was initial wave of those senders but never seemed to catch any real feedback....do they work as accurately as hoped?
Lars, thank you....what was the intended mounting for these? Allthread or long bolts though the floor for the front, and the J bolts in the back?

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I have the auxiliary tank mounted with the front bolts through the floor, originally with their 23 gallon main tank, though the rear tank has been replaced with a 23 gallon BCB early EFI tank. Neither tanks sending units are accurate with my Autometer fuel gauge, so I have used the trip odometer for over 30 years. I did make a skid plate for the auxiliary tank. It is now plumbed into the EFI return line with its own external pump with a safety switch to turn the pump on in the dash, works great. The bolts through the floor are like long carriage bolts with a smooth round top that doesn't catch on shoes. I had to make one long J bolt for the back. Having 35 gallon fuel capacity is awesome.