• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lemme in! -->door gettin stuck

cisco

im going to take the panel off the door this weekend and have a look- just looking for a heads up..

maybe it just needs some oil, but the door latch is getting really hard to squeeze. from the outside, i might have to try and open it a dozen times before it works, on the inside i just have to squeeze hard.

are the mechanics inside the door pretty simple to fix?

the window doesnt go up and down smoothly, and i have to replace the door seals too..

advice?

thanks!

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Theres a rod from the door handle to the latch & it's adjustable . Pop the clip & turn the bottom until you get the right tension at the button .
Your window tracks may be loose or broken .. open up the door & see . ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Also the latch assembly tends to get gummed up over time it might be a good idea to pull it and clean off the old dried up grease and dirt then regrease with white grease.
As for the window the track at the bottom of the window also tends to get gummed up over time so clean and regrease that as well also new window glass runs can help a little.

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
just fyi

mine were hangin up b/c the lock mechanism was not coming all the way up, even if ya pulled it up or turned the key. eventually it would pop on its own fruition, but it was hit or miss.

prior post is right, that stuff gets gummy, so i'd just pull the whole thing (easier to work on anyways), whether its just an adjustment or not, and clean it real well then lubricate and put it back in. should be good to go for another 30 years then.

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
Mine had the same issue on the drivers door...well actually two things were wrong. First the button was difficult to press, the second was that even tough I could press the button in all the way the door would not always open. I had marginal success by spraying some WD-40 on the latch/in the key opening/gap around the button. This would free up the button for a while but the door still didn't open every time (especially if I had a girl with me :-[ ). Eventually I pulled the door panel off, adjusted the rod so the door would open and sprayed a liberal amount of lithium grease (the white stuff) on all the moving parts. Six months later it still works without issue, effortless to push the button and the door becomes released with a nice "click" with the button pressed in just over half way.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Mine was doing the same thing, after taking it apart I realized the locking mechanism was causing it to lock and when you pushed on the button it would cause the lock mechanism to rotate in the door and jam up.. I pulled the locking part out of my doors and they have worked great..but I can't lock it.. not a problem since I don't leave it unattended. I plan to make me some short tube doors for wheelin'.. But the doors will go on with the half cab or the full cab in the winter for hunting...