• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lessons learned from 23 gallon tank install

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BC's tanks have been "sliders" for quite some time .
I put mine in about five years ago , it was USED then , so they may have always been sliders.

Be sure to check the fit (float height) of the sending units on the 23 gallon tanks. Some older ones would show empty when there was 8 gallons left , which gets really frustrating because the last 1/3 of the tank , you are guessing when you will run out ... or you fill up every 16 gallons , which isn't much better than the stock tank.

Either get a proper sending unit for the tank or just bend the float arm down till it is much closer to the bottom of the tank at rest. This means that the gauge will stay at FULL for a long time before it moves ,but at least you know where Empty is.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
My BCB tank is probably 4 years old and I just installed it last week. Pretty straight forward install. It has the slider mounts.

7097499027_a736786224.jpg

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
All my tanks have always had the slider. The senders have always been the same as everyone else uses. The tanks going out from now own will have my new sender. It is more correct than the universal senders but if your gauge is off no sender can fix that. If you want to know if the gauge is correct buy a 10 ohm and a 70 ohm resister. Attach the 10 ohm to the wire tht was attached to the sender, your gauge should read full. Remove the 10 ohm and attach the 70 ohm and the gauge should read empty. If you do not get those readings the problem is in your EB.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Chuck , I haven't taken mine down to actually see what is going on , but there have been a number of mentions of this on this forum.

IIRC it was a float /arm issue , not an electrical one , the sender didn't read the last 8 gals. , as if it had maxed out its downward travel. There were several of us discussing the "bottom 8" issue and one member fixed his in that manner (adjusted float travel).

Of course , I haven't seen this with my own eyes , nor have I seen the sender in a LONG time , so I could be totally misinformed. My apologies if that is the case .... feel free to straighten me out.

Either way , I'll be pulling my tank some time this year when I'm doing a bunch of other work and I'll look into it more.

Last edited: