• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lessons Learned...LONG

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
I am almost done my engine rebuild, so close to turning the key I can't stand it. This board has been a tremendous resource for information and suggestions. Thank you all! Knowing answers were only a mouse click away gave me great confidence to do this. I have also learned quite a few lessons through trial and error over the last month. I thought I'd share some:<br>1.Haynes sucks 2.When seperating the tranny from the xfer case, there are 13 bearings waiting to fall into the case,gravel drive,or parts washer. That was a fun afternoon. 3.When pulling the engine/tranny/adapter the way haynes describes, don't forget the shifter, it WILL get stuck. 4.Haynes sucks 5.Drain the oil before removing the engine, or have lots of kitty litter available. 6.When ordering a $349.00 rebuild kit, don't assume $500.00 will cover everything. $1100.00 and counting...God bless overtime. 7.Haynes sucks. 8.When putting the tranny back in, don't do it w/xfer case attached and a standard floor jack. It is almost impossible to maneuver into place without dropping it at least once. I miss my thumb nail...And the cross member is another lesson in patience. 9.Don't put the engine in w/torque converter attached. It will have to be pulled out again. 10.Haynes sucks. 11.When shoe horning the engine in for the second time, don't forget the plate that goes between the engine and tranny. You know the one, It goes BEHIND the flywheel. 12.When shoving the engine in for the third time, make sure all loose plugs are clear of the engine. It was fun hunting for the connector that went to the tranny wiring. It was wedged between the engine and firewall. 13.Did I mention that Haynes sucks? All in all though, it has been great. Many hours of bonding for myself, my father, and my sons. Wouldn't have changed any of it.(except maybe putting the motor in 3 times :-[) Thanks for letting me share, and if you have any other interesting lessons learned, I'd love to hear them.

SCOTT

Loc.
Tok , AK
Sounds like you had a very interest project. I get the feeling you don't like Haynes though. I used a Haynes manual to rebuild my Tranny and Transfer case. They were helpful but could've been a little more informative. The only reason I went with Haynes was because at the time (6 yrs ago), it was the only manual I could find. I was wondering if perhaps you or anyone else has come across a better rebuild manual for engine, transmission, transfer case, diffs, etc. ?<br><br>Scott<br>

OP
OP
semprbronc

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
I had another manual on rebuilding Ford engines, I can't remember who did it, but it was very helpful. I'll check when I get home. Every time I went to the Haynes for info it didn't have what I needed. When they are the only book in town though, you have to make due. They are o.k. for an overview, but like you said, poor detail.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
Thats awesome that you are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. It just makes the love affair that much more intense. Oh yeah, how'd ya like the Haynes manual? ;D

OP
OP
semprbronc

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=12694;start=0#94872 date=1041125741]<br> Oh yeah, how'd ya like the Haynes manual? ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>I loved it. I couldn't put it down. A great read. ::)

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
When installing an engine from a manual tranny truck into an auto tranny truck MAKE Sure you remove the pilot bearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent hours trying to line them up!

OP
OP
semprbronc

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
I almost did that also. The new crankshaft I bought had it installed. Could have been the 4th attempt installing the motor.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I ordered a book from HP Books titled "How to rebuild a small block Ford" as well as the 5 volume shop manuals - hope these will cover the process

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
Yep, no doubt about it, Haynes sucks.<br><br>The Ford shop manuals suck too.<br><br>The Clymer manual sucks too.<br><br>The Chilton's manual sucks serious root.<br><br>Use them all together, and you may, just may, be able to figure out what you're doing.<br><br>Until you install the Centech harness, then you are clueless--no schematics. I asked for some, they said no.<br>Just hope that guru there never dies.<br><br>Ed<br>

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
[quote author=edjolly link=board=5;threadid=12694;start=0#95714 date=1041302618]<br>Yep, no doubt about it, Haynes sucks.<br><br>The Ford shop manuals suck too.<br><br>The Clymer manual sucks too.<br><br>The Chilton's manual sucks serious root.<br><br>Use them all together, and you may, just may, be able to figure out what you're doing.<br><br>Until you install the Centech harness, then you are clueless--no schematics. I asked for some, they said no.<br>Just hope that guru there never dies.<br><br>Ed<br><br>[/quote]<br>Ed <br>I have some jpegs of what I think is a Centech wiring guide if you want them

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
Hey Waverous - I'll take any info you can give regarding the Centech install. Their instructions are the worst. Not a single picture of an actual install.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
[quote author=semprbronc link=board=5;threadid=12694;start=0#94861 date=1041121401]<br>Thanks for letting me share, and if you have any other interesting lessons learned, I'd love to hear them.<br>[/quote]<br><br>When removing the harmonic balancer, remove the bolt AND washer before putting on the puller. After two broken pullers and several dents made with a BFH, I realized there was a washer there too. ::)

Blueoval4me

Loc.
Fullerton, CA
This is totally not bronco related but it was one hellava lesson for me. Chevy 350 oil pump drive shafts will not drop in the top like ford shafts. They have to be installed just before you bolt on the oil pump. <br><br>I used to own a boat 32' we kept it on a trailer. When we rebuilt the motor it took a 30' crane that was 40 miles from my house and about 5 hours to pull or install the motor. After i drove 40 miles back home, after I installed the exhaust, carb, front engine accessories I realized that I had to drive back, take the motor back out, pull the pan, and pump to drop in the drive rod.<br><br>When that boat went away it was a good day.<br><br>Eric

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
When changing intake manifolds, never set your tools in the valley when the phone rings. I had a mysterious noise that I thought was every single rod bearing knocking, only to discover where my missing 3/8 drive ratchet went.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=76Broncofromhell link=board=5;threadid=12694;start=0#95998 date=1041367600]<br>When changing intake manifolds, never set your tools in the valley when the phone rings. I had a mysterious noise that I thought was every single rod bearing knocking, only to discover where my missing 3/8 drive ratchet went.<br>[/quote]LOL :D :D :D :D

fatcatmatt74

Loc.
Jupiter FL
I had a customer come in the shop with a bunch of bent valves and a strange soot and smell coming from the exhaust. when we tore it down we found what was left of the 8 shop rags he had shoved in the intake ports to keep the dust out :eek: that was interesting! ;D

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
[quote author=rflud link=board=5;threadid=12694;start=0#95950 date=1041364861]<br>Hey Waverous - I'll take any info you can give regarding the Centech install. Their instructions are the worst. Not a single picture of an actual install.<br>[/quote]<br>I'll email a zip file