• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lets say you had a 170 6 cylinder and you wanted a little more power out of it

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I've been reading over at fordsix.com and have started to gather some info on squeezin a little more power out of the 170 in my 66. Upgrades discussed include duraspark, 2bbl carb, header etc.. For thoose of you who have tried to milk a few more ponys out of your six, What have you found to be the best bang for the buck? This rig will be about 80% street driven.

broncomaster

Loc.
Edgewood,Wa
I am building one right now for a buddys 66 stang 200 six from 79-81 fairmount had a better head bigger valves, performance cam, headers, exhaust divider on the center port then the two bbl carb maybe a weber.
I am looking for a 250 six for my 66 it is a easy swap.

There is a guy on the boards that has a eb with a 250 with fuel injection

Itsa67

Other then some oil pan modifications the 250 is a really clean swap and would add a ton of torque. It might actually be cheaper to go to the salvage yard and get a 250 then to do all the upgrades you are looking at for the 170. But if you intend to run with the 170 I would say the info you are finding on Fordsix is pretty darn good...I would start with the duraspark and a good tuneup if I were going the 170 route.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p As with any build you will need to recam it then a 2V or 4V will work much better also headers. You can also work over the valves. You need to look up cliford research ( 6=8) is there logo but a good cam is a must good luck and have fun.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

WarEagle68

Loc.
Weogufka, AL
I have a 200 and have also been reading on Ford six. I think it would be cool to build and be able to surprise the V8's.;D Check out classicinline.com they have some sweet performance parts.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
WE HAVE A 200 CID COMPLETE AND RUNNING pulled out for a V8 swap in case any of you guys are interested ....also I think he has a 250 that has been out for a couple of years ...
Sorry if that was a high-jack ...but if there is any interest pm me ...

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Gears!
Lower ratio especially if your tires are larger than stock. It may not be glamorous but it is the cheapest power you'll find!

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
This is all good info. I have considered several options. Included in the possibilities are,

1) Get as much power as I can out of the 170.

2) Bigger inline motor.

3) Go all the way and drop in a fuel injected 5.0

I'm leaning to the first two options because I already have a fuel injected 351w in my 74. I kinda like the idea of keeping a six in it as it will be a pretty stock rig. This thing will never need to be a "King of the streets" power house. It just needs to get me to work and back without having yugos passing me up on the highway. It has 31's on it that I plan to keep. I may lift it an inch or two for better tire clearance but thats it. I can't get to crazy spending money on the engine because I'm still finishing the work on my 74 and this 66 really in need of paint. Thats why I'm thinking about squeezing the 170 for a little more power. Maybe I can get a carb and headers that could be moved to a larger six down the road? I'm not sure what gears it has. I'll go check the vin plate and get it posted.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I have a 200 and have also been reading on Ford six. I think it would be cool to build and be able to surprise the V8's.;D Check out classicinline.com they have some sweet performance parts.

Do you have the link to this site? I tried it but got nothing.

spdrac

If you go with the 250 and dont have a body lift you might run into clearance issues with the hood and air cleaner.Been there done that.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep yr eyes out for the head and manifolds off of an Aussie 250. ;D

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I ran strait 6s for years and once I put a 2 barrel carb and a set of headers on one and was really surprised at the difference it made. Don't have any idea of the HP difference, but it sure felt much stouter. Also the point and plug gaps made a big difference as well. I used to put the plugs on .030 and the points on .019 as I recall. I know they were not the factory recomended gaps, but they increased HP significantly. I am sure now you could just upgrade to electronic ignition and forget the points.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Most of the six cyls. came with 4.11 gears. If you're using 31" tires (27.5" came stock) you are loosing tons of power and gas milage too. With stock tires or lower gears you should be able to get it all back where it belongs. Those early sixes were known to get pretty good milage and were great trail rigs too. Going to 4.56 gears would put it right back where it belongs.