• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Let's talk TORQUE

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
Its easy to find secrets to build a high HP engine. But I'd like to talk torque monsters. What have you found to build massive bottom end torque? A square engine(bore=stroke), over-square(bore>stroke), or under-square(bore<stroke) design engine? What spec cams? What size and volume heads? How about rod ratio? Any exhaust secrets?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm getting pretty outrageous torque numbers with the 408s I build..at very low RPM. We have been refining the design of the engines over time. Couple of 'secrets' included:

1. The 408 is 4.030 x 4.0 bore and stroke. Stroke length is important, obviously. And while increasing the bore size would help too, the blocks can't take much more than .040 overbore

2. Comp Dual-Energy (265 DEH) cam grinds really produce at low RPM. Typically end up with the cam advanced 4-6 degrees from straight-up.

3. Intake runner CSA is very important to keep velocity high at low RPMs. They are getting harder to find, but the oft-dengrated Edelbrock SP-2P intakes are the best choice I have found for building a low-moderate RPM 'torque monster'.

The 'downside' (I don't think it is a downside, but to each his own..) is that you end up with a motor that breaks the 300 ft-lb ceiling at less than 1500 RPM and peaks at almost 500 ft-lb below 4500. And then runs out of 'juice' very quickly after that.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) The quick way low $ is a 351W a good RV cam stock heads and small long tub headers. This will make a lot of torque. Other wise you will need a big one 400 to 427 W and the same goodies good luck and have fun. To get the #'s get ahold of the cam co of your choice and tell them what you want and they will help you with the right cam and all the other goodies. I deal with erson have had good luck with them. ;D ;D ;D Bill :p :eek: %)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don’t forget our good friend ion. While having too much might cost you at the pump for the needed premium to keep him happy. A little in the compression ratio side sure helps a lot. My basic little 11:1 91 octane pump gas 351 makes 200 ft-Lbs just off idle all the way up to 300 then back to 200 at redline, and that is at the rear tire, not the engine.

Last edited:

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Play with the flywheel weight and that will affect your low end significantly. I would run a 408W with some decent heads (not super high-flow) and a nice roller cam with a reasonable torque curve. Then lighten the rest of the rotating assembly (pistons, rods, crank) and that thing will be a torque monster.

My 408 right now is a torque monster while also pulling a whole bunch of horsepower so you can have both. I can let the clutch out in second gear at lights and pull away without stalling. So I would tend to advise towards more HP on a stroker.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
Go Diesel ;D

Don't want to start a war here though. I am expecting my 4BT cummins to be putting out 450 lb ft at 1300 rpm. That is with some slight mods though. I should have the number from a dyno in 6-9 months.

ginwisconson

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
Its easy to find secrets to build a high HP engine. But I'd like to talk torque monsters. What have you found to build massive bottom end torque? A square engine(bore=stroke), over-square(bore>stroke), or under-square(bore<stroke) design engine? What spec cams? What size and volume heads? How about rod ratio? Any exhaust secrets?

More the better ;D