• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Linkage Adjustment for 66'

AP43

Recently acquired a 66' with a three on the tree. The previous owner replaced the rubber grommets between the frame and body which added about an Inch of lift. Now the linkage going to the transfer case needs to be adjusted/replaced. Large task?

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
The body lift should have no effect on the T case linkage, only how much of the T handle is sticking through the floor.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the body shifted enough, it might be interfering with the shifter, but that would usually mean just a little grinding of the sheet metal. Not sure about the '66 style shifter though.

Is this an early model with the round boot, long lever and simple round knob? Or the later model with the plastic housing cover and T-handle shift?

Are you sure the body lift was the 1" type? The standard cushions/insulators would be 3/4" tall, and the lifted ones would be 1 3/4" tall.

What's it doing that you feel you need to adjust the linkage? It might have needed it anyway, as it is pretty old now, but if the body is interfering, you might as well make the tweaks needed to get things working perfectly again.

Your clutch pedal rod might need some lengthening as well, if it was not done at the same time.

Is this a 6-cylinder engine or V8?

Sorry for all the questions, but since this is your first time here, we gotta' get to know you a bit.
And speaking of which... Welcome to classicbroncos too!

Paul

OP
OP
A

AP43

Thanks, Paul.

I fixed it yesterday. The linkage pin needed to be extended down the shifter rod where it ties into the tranny. Loosened one locking nut and moved the pin down and that was it EZPZ. (I was mis-informed on the T-case). It is the In-Line 6 Motor. I appreciate the help.