• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

little history on my '66 U13

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
This is a very good story. I'm glad you shared it with us. Excited for the next part!

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Jeff, I liked that rear bumper and only reluctantly let it go on that 250 auto truck I put together. I figured it wasnt stock anyhow, ugh.I had cleaned it up pretty good as well. More pictures......I know you have them.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
popc1.gif

Very very cool. Can't wait for the next installment.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, back to Wyman's part of the story. He bought the truck in '68 from original owner and the Bronco only had 3,700 miles on it! He drove the truck until '74 and sold it with 60K miles! With each email Wyman sent me telling a new story he added these great old pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 195

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
Those pictures are awesome, and what's amazing is without your efforts they would still be stashed in his dresser drawer.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As you can see Wyman not only had a love for his Bronco but at an early age like taking pictures. Here is a few more but the Bronco is not pictured in them but the Bronco was either present or had been there many times!

1st picture is of his weekend camp sight. He had got word that his brother was home sick with the mumps. Since Wyman didn't want to get them he had his mom meet him at the local gas station with his camping gear. So, he spent his weekend home from college out in the Bad Lands of Texas.

2nd picture is the main place where he would stay while hunting. My first thought of all the coyote skins was they look like stingers off fish because there where so many! My next thought was those coyotes sure have a bad day when Wyman rolls into town! lol

3rd picture is a tree that he has sat under with the Bronco many times to watch sunsets or sunrises.

Wyman, knowing I had family in Dallas offered to take me to each place where the Bronco had once traveled! When I get back to Texas I will take him up on that offer! ;D

Attachments

• photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 116

BCH BRCO

Jeff,
Great thread! Are you going to preserve the patina or do a full blown restoration like the previous one?

Bernie

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
During all the emails back and forth to Wyman about the bronco one thing still wasn't answered yet... who and when turned this U13 into a 1/2 with hard doors? Well, no sooner as I was trying to get an email together to ask him if he did Wyman sends me this photo! Also asking me if the paint at all was still stained from coyote blood?

How cool is that for patina! lol

Of course I asked when and why did he do the 1/2 cab and doors but also I asked is that when you swapped the rear bumper too?

The "why" I had a good guess, like most U13's the top fell apart. Seeing Wyman in the few years of owning the truck and putting nearly 60K on it with highway driving takes a toll on soft tops. Which Wyman confirmed that he just couldn't keep patching it back together. So he said at the time of the swap he knew someone who wrecked a 1/2 cab so he bought it off the guy cheap. The doors he got from a salvage. I stated well, the door are just shells with no glass or guts. Wyman said, "yep they were just shells and I had to use bungee cords tied to the steering column to keep the doors closed. I was in college and like most kids in college I didn't have any money."

Wyman held true to as most Bronco owners do. No money to fix them but we do what it takes to keep them still running! ;D

That is when I found out about the rear odd step bumper. Wyman said, "no I didn't change the bumper... the bumper was the same when I sold it and it was on the truck from new."

I assumed it was swapped out at some point. (Note for my buddy Nolan: I'm not faulting you! I take full responsibility for that one! haha I should have known to look at more closely before assuming it didn't belong on the truck! That one was my bad!) It could be another '66 oddity that I just never really looked at! :cry: Oh well, I guess I have to find another one! ;)

Once again please stay tuned for a little more to this story and Wyman.

Attachments

• DSCN5000.jpg
    DSCN5000.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 196
OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check out this youtube video of Wyman. Ford put this out about Wyman after he did a photo shoot for Ford's King Ranch trucks!

The realality of it is he was a modern day cowboy and his once trusted horse was '66 Bronco.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MCQv6tahpMI

I know a few guys asked if I had planned to restore the truck or keep it the way it is. My plans are to keep it the way it is except for a few needed things. I kid you guys not... between the 3 prior owners before me no one really did any maintenance to it. Wyman said that all he did was changed the oil and clean the oil bath filter beside the two set of tires he burned through. So I had to replace the original cap and rotor 3 out of 6 plugs were original too! Even all the brakes are original... if you think drums brakes are scary try out 49 old year ones! lol Apart from the much needed mechanical needs all I would like to do is find original '66 survivor seats with patina to match the rest of the bronco. Also I would like to find a original driver front fender in Wimbledon white also with patina. The rest of the truck is just right for my liking. What crazy my wife said that she wouldn't be caught dead it. But after riding in it with "roadster style" no top or doors it changed her mind! :cool: Also no matter when or where I take Roadster out I always get stopped talk about it! Even more then some of my restored trucks I'v done. By the way the truck looks... you just know it has a great story to go with it.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Thanks for telling us 'the rest of the story', Jeff! I've always looked at your U13s with envy!.....this one included!

I think most Broncos have cool stories to tell, but no one to tell them! This one has a really cool story and someone that knows the story! Thanks for sharing!

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Way cool Jeff, Crazy that he has a Ford video about the King Ranch. Too cool. I always wonder about the histories of these individual trucks. I still wonder if the 77 was the postal plow truck by your home.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Way cool Jeff, Crazy that he has a Ford video about the King Ranch. Too cool. I always wonder about the histories of these individual trucks. I still wonder if the 77 was the postal plow truck by your home.

You never know about the postal plow truck... stranger things have been known to happen!

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Last little bit of this story I'd like to share with you guys.

In one of the many emails back and forth with Wyman. I told him that I wasn't looking to sell this Bronco (honestly I think my kids would kill me in my sleep.. haha) but if I ever did I would give him first right to refusal. After really thinking it over I had contact him back and upped the ante by this, "if you ever wanted to buy your 'old friend' back just say the word." I continued, "I realize this Bronco was your first vehicle you owned... you out of all of it's prior owners put all the miles on it, spent the most time in it, and have the most memories tied to it. I could sell it back to you 'as is' or fully restored." I went onto to say, "most Bronco guys name their Bronco build/restoration and I know the perfect name what I would call your build...'going home'. Although I'm the legal owner of this really cool roadster I just feel like the caretaker of it right now. This Bronco could be passed as an heirloom to your sons and then to grandsons."

Wyman replied back with much thanks & gratitude and assured me if he could he would take me up on that but being a photographer doesn't make you rich fast. You do it for the love of it! But he want on to say that he looked me up and said, "right now I'm not in a position to buy the Bronco back but I'm happy I know my old friend is in good hands."

Well, this past September my kids and I got idea to thank Wyman for all the great stories, pictures, and offer to come to see him in TX for the personal tour of his old stomping grounds. We decided to make Wyman a little surprise gift. So, we bought and restored a '66 Nylint Bronco Roadster to look as close to his as we could... well less the dents and coyote blood stains. lol We painted it Wimbledon White, '66 poly grey dash, '66 silver seats, and I even cut my own rocker stripes too. I must have way to much time on my hands or I'm just a complete Bronco nut! %) haha We figured if Wyman can't do the Bronco at this time maybe he'd appreciate a model of it sitting on his bookshelf in his den.

Attachments

• IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1733.jpg
    IMG_1733.jpg