• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lockers, gears, axle shafts .... input & experience appreciated

OP
OP
broncbuster

broncbuster

I know 4340 is an alloy, it's the type of chromoly. I was just referring to it as WH does in their catalog. I am wondering if anyone knows where they come from? I kind of guessing they are probably yukons.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Most of the venders have learned to just advertise the Yukons without the Yukon name. Just call them an upgraded chrome moly axle at a low price. If they are name brand axles, people will recoginize the name and they will advertise it. That is how I see it.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i've been running the detroit soft locker in the rear and the detroit electrac selectable in the front. the front is a limited slip diff when not locked. The trails we run up here are a wet slimy mess with wet, moss covered rocks, wet roots, wet... well, you get the picture. the first time out with the new gears/lockers/tranny (4.56 with 36" tsl's, np435) i was able to crawl through muddy spots/inclines that stopped me before but i was no longer able to make it up the more off camber objects i was able to do before. the detroit in the rear will only sideslip the hill. The people with open or selectable rear lockers can make it with little effort. The majority of the time, it works great and is very streetable. The electrac works well when it decides it wants to engage(not very often). I did find that i very seldom need the front to be locked because the rear works so well. If i had the cash when i did mine, i would have gone with an ox in the front and an arb for the rear. I have heard of cable problems with the ox. the guys in our club have replaced them with air actuators.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
but i was no longer able to make it up the more off camber objects i was able to do before. the detroit in the rear will only sideslip the hill. The people with open or selectable rear lockers can make it with little effort. .

Exactly my experience..and why I moved from using 'usually' Detroits in the rear, even though always ARBs in the front...which is what my 'main squeeze/ rig still is until that Detroit breaks anyways (first rear axle that lets go will take that Detroit right out..just has not happened to me yet) Now I'm building nothing but all-ARB rigs.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Broncbuster,
I think some go overboard with lockers when it isn't needed. What's wrong with a good limited slip unit in the rear? If you'r not planning to go extreme offroad I can't see the advantage of any of the mechanical types. Some of the factory and off brand limited slip units are junk and people had bad experiences with them but I have a really good Yukon in mine that seems to work really good for my daily driver even on moderate trails. It's quiet, smooth and locks up real good. My front is open right now but I'd consider a Loc-Rite because of its ease if installation.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Back when I lived in NM I did a lot of wheeling in dry rocks and sand. I only had the factory limited slip in the rear and did a budget upgrade to a EZ locker up front with twinsticks. That combo worked great for the dry climate. Now that I'm living in CO I find it more difficult to use on snow covered streets. In 2wd the trackloc has enough lockup to send the rear fishtailing. If I use 4wd it's near impossible to turn on snowy streets unless I pull the front out with the stick. It works but it's cumbersome. I really like the manners of the trackloc in most conditions and want to keep it but now I'm looking to change the front to some type of selectable locker.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Back when I lived in NM I did a lot of wheeling in dry rocks and sand. I only had the factory limited slip in the rear and did a budget upgrade to a EZ locker up front with twinsticks. That combo worked great for the dry climate. Now that I'm living in CO I find it more difficult to use on snow covered streets. In 2wd the trackloc has enough lockup to send the rear fishtailing. If I use 4wd it's near impossible to turn on snowy streets unless I pull the front out with the stick. It works but it's cumbersome. I really like the manners of the trackloc in most conditions and want to keep it but now I'm looking to change the front to some type of selectable locker.

I know what you're saying!
I've got a Z-28 with the factory posi unit and it will switch ends with the first drop of rain. My wife refuses to ride in it in wet weather because it's done it to her too. There is some good things about an open carrier.