• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lokar vs Winters Shifter for 4R70W vs column shift

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco will be used for mild trails and street. I think i have talked myself out of column shift, like the clean install of the no column, plus not having to deal with the indicator for the overdrive. The winter seems to be not so clean of install as the lokar? what is the general consensus. I am buttoning up the frame so i need to make sure everything that can be done while body is off is done. Am i thinking clearly here on getting away from the column?

Last edited:

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Mild trails and street I would say Lokar. I have the Winters and it is robust but kind of a pain to deal with and not real great looking ways to mount them. Honestly if I was doing a street trail rig I would do a aftermarket column shift but Lokar probably next

BanditBronco

I am with RCM, if you plan on ripping around and are planning a custom console than winters. If mostly hardcore ice cream runs and trails twice a year are in your future than column or a nicely laid out lokar set up.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mild trails and street I would say Lokar. I have the Winters and it is robust but kind of a pain to deal with and not real great looking ways to mount them. Honestly if I was doing a street trail rig I would do a aftermarket column shift but Lokar probably next

yes the winters has no "pretty" way to mount.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ididit Direct Fit, Column Shift would be my vote. It would add a tilt feature too.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ididit Direct Fit, Column Shift would be my vote. It would add a tilt feature too.

what linkage would work with that column, i saw the adjustable stuff lokar has. i have the lokar adapter on the shaft so it can be clocked where ever i need it to be.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I went lokar, no problems. Floor shift.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
yes the winters has no "pretty" way to mount.
It can be done, I've done it. What it looked like on the top:

i-H2pbN7c-M.jpg

What I had to build to make it work as seen from the bottom:

i-sFQgGqT.jpg

i-6XFsqJg.jpg