• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for recommendations: Electric fuel pump

BigOrsnge

Contributor
Running a stock 2bbl on a 302 (73). Manual pump just isn't getting it done.
Thanks

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I'll third the Carter recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you need more power I don't know that the electric pump is going to solve your problem. Although it's one of the better running carbs for our broncos it may be the fact you're running a 2bbl. If you're sould on going electric I'm another vote for the carter.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
P4070 is perfect for carbed engines or transfer pumps. No regulator needed, self regulated. They are known for just working year after year.

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
Picked up a pump, now what are your setups? Relays? Oil Pressure sensor? Fuel lines? I'm just going to change out every thing. How you route your wipers?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Million ways to wire a fuel pump. Good thing is the Carter is pretty low amp draw. Some people will think this is crazy, but I skip the relay. Not enough amp draw to justify one.
I've tied it to the ignition switched power and that was it many times. Usually take it off the voltage regulator. On my boat I ran it through an oil pressure switch. With a prime added to fuel the carbs after being parked for a long time. My favorite was RPM triggered. Started putting EFI on, had the computer in and looking at RPM and running the fuel pump. But didn't have the EFI installed yet. Just like EFI, key on, pump cycle, RPM sensed, pump on.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Carter makes an oil pressure switch with a starting by-pass so that the fuel pump will run while cranking. It is the switch that GM first designed & used on their Vega which had no mechanical fuel pump.

I use these in the relay's control circuit rather than the pump's power circuit. I guess that I'm still old school, I prefer to use relays to take the load off of the IGN switch. From a 285 Series breaker at the battery I run a heavy gauge wire/cable (8ga+) back to nearly the rear bumper. Along the way I put in one or more isolated studs where I can tap into power for things. In the case of the fuel pimp on the Bronc-up I tapped into power for it there and ran the control wire from the oil pressure switch to the relay near the power tap. Can see the 70's GM truck sourced isolated stud, the relay, and the weathertight inline fuse for the pump in the pic below.

i-LZp3QrS-L.jpg

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I'd just run a good mechanical pump for your set-up. I got an electric carter 4070 fuel pump because explorer timing cover doesn't have a fuel pump mount.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I removed one of the fairly cheap holley electric fuel pumps from my bronco and installed a factory mechanical one on my 2 barrel 302. The holley never gave me issues unless it was hot and I was putting the bronco through the ringer either wheeling or climbing steep mountain hills. It felt like it wasn't able to supply the carb with enough fuel... I still keep a holley in my parts bag just in case I need to hook one up real quick.

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
I'd just run a good mechanical pump for your set-up. I got an electric carter 4070 fuel pump because explorer timing cover doesn't have a fuel pump mount.
I replaced the mechanical and still have fuel pressure issues. Only getting about half what I need. Last one didn't hold up to ethanol in the fuel either.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
What is the condition of all of your hoses? They could be the problem. If you haven't replaced them recently I would do so and use Emission Barrier hose. That stuff is not inexpensive, but it does have a liner in it that modern "gasoline" won't degrade.
What does the fuel sock on the end of the pick-up in the tank look like? I had one of those break up and clog the pick-up.

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
What is the condition of all of your hoses? They could be the problem. If you haven't replaced them recently I would do so and use Emission Barrier hose. That stuff is not inexpensive, but it does have a liner in it that modern "gasoline" won't degrade.
What does the fuel sock on the end of the pick-up in the tank look like? I had one of those break up and clog the pick-up.
All new everything. From tank to lines were the first things I replaced when restoring it. Nothing over 2 years old. Even replaced the carb. It's just not consistently getting enough fuel. But I'm open to any all suggestions. I just want it running and not sitting.

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All new everything. From tank to lines were the first things I replaced when restoring it. Nothing over 2 years old. Even replaced the carb. It's just not consistently getting enough fuel. But I'm open to any all suggestions. I just want it running and not sitting.
Just spitballing, but could you have a venting issue on the fuel tank?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
More than once I have been happy with replacing mechanical pumps with electric. From boats to trucks. Typically hobby stuff that sits a long time between uses.

For laughs, my 2021 truck has a mechanical fuel pump, fed by an electric one. Mechanical to develop the pressure needed for the direct gasoline injection.