• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for VIN info

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just bought a red '73. With my old Mustangs I can find great VIN decoders where you just type in the info off your tag and it will decode it for you. Is there a really good decoder site for early Broncos?

My tag reads as follows -

U15GLS05416

092 Z U153 34 G B90

04450 28

Thanks for any advice on decoding sites!

Norm

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Just bought a red '73. With my old Mustangs I can find great VIN decoders where you just type in the info off your tag and it will decode it for you. Is there a really good decoder site for early Broncos?

My tag reads as follows -

U15GLS05416

092 Z U153 34 G B90

04450 28

Thanks for any advice on decoding sites!

Norm

Built June 1973
92" wheelbase
Z color code: LT Copper
153 = Heavy Duty
34 ???
G = Automatic Transmission
B9 = 3:50 limited slip rear axle
4450 GVW rating
28= Louisville District Code

http://www.broncohio.com/tech/ebvins.html

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
WOW! Quick response and at 5am on a Sunday morning! :eek: Thanks very much for the info. 34 doesn't decode? Maybe I wrote it down wrong, I'll double check it. "Heavy Duty" means what? Bigger radiator, brakes or what?

And this one I bought has had one repaint where color was changed to red. Was the original Copper color a good/popular one?

clarrance

Bronco Guru
WOW! Quick response and at 5am on a Sunday morning! :eek: Thanks very much for the info. 34 doesn't decode? Maybe I wrote it down wrong, I'll double check it. "Heavy Duty" means what? Bigger radiator, brakes or what?

And this one I bought has had one repaint where color was changed to red. Was the original Copper color a good/popular one?

I believe the HD represents a big bearing heavier duty rear end. And possibly heavier suspension.

Not sure what the 34 is. I don't recall ever seeing that on. Vin tag. It might have something to do with the interior color.

LT Copper Metallic was a very popular color for the 1972 - 1975 years. I personally like the color.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looked again and it is "34". Also where I put B90 in my first post, it may be B9 and then "Q"...very hard to tell due to white paint over tag.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Did some more research:

34 is parchment colored front bucket and rear bench seats
If there is a Q after the B9 then it also has a limited slip front axle too.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One more thing, the PO said it was a "sport" version and gave me the sport emblems that go on the front fenders. None on fenders now. Is there anything in the tag info that lets me know it is a real "sport" version?

clarrance

Bronco Guru
One more thing, the PO said it was a "sport" version and gave me the sport emblems that go on the front fenders. None on fenders now. Is there anything in the tag info that lets me know it is a real "sport" version?

Nothing on the vin tag. To get a full complete report check out Marti report. You can purchase all the information from them. They own the rights to all the original Ford Paperwork. Do a search for Marti Report on here for some examples.

Sports came with the following:

Chrome window trim
Chrome grill trim & FORD letters
Chrome bumpers
Chrome upper door trim
Chrome vent windows
Parchment colored full rubber flooring
Sport emblems
Most came with the chrome body trim

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine does have the chrome vent windows, chrome grill letters, and PO said it had chrome strips down sides...that he removed and filled in the holes! %)

I know about Marti reports, have a deluxe version for my '69 Boss Mustang hanging on the wall right now. Just didn't think about Kevin having info for this Bronco. Great idea, I'll order one right away!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Did some more research:

34 is parchment colored front bucket and rear bench seats
If there is a Q after the B9 then it also has a limited slip front axle too.

Exactly. Trim codes were changed in '70 or '71. "3" is parchment front buckets. "4" after the "3" includes the rear seat. Ranger/Explorer codes used and alpha character in the first position.

The front axle code (3rd character) was also revised after the switch to the D44. The only possibilities there are no character (no PS, open diff), "J" (PS and open diff), "Q" (PS and limited slip) or 8 (limited slip and no PS).

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, this one has power steering, so it must be a "Q" code.

I'll try to put a picture below of what I bought.

BDAZSVT

I dont think it is a sport. It should have chrome trim around all of the windows,I believe. I am sure someone here will know ..

Nice looking Bronco!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
My 71' is a Sport, but the only chrome left on it was on the grill.....everything else had been removed.........and the only Mallard Green paint left to be found was up behind the dash as far up as one could see.

Missing chrome is common.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So is the copper color that was original on my '73 the same color as the one listed in the "for sale" section as a "Branded Bronco"? ?:?

And THANKS for the nice looking Bronco comment! I think I did OK, it's a V8 automatic with P/S that runs and drives that I got for $3K. It's been sitting in a dry garage just like you see it since 1993. A little gas and a hot battery and was able to drive it onto trailer!

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got the Marti Report

DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION
Serial Number U15GLS05416
U15 U-100 Bronco
G 302-2V Engine
L Michigan Truck
S05416 Serial number of this Ford Bronco scheduled for
production in June 1973.
092 Wheelbase (inches)
Z Hot Ginger Metallic Paint
U153 U-100 Bronco 4450 Lb. GVW
34 Parchment Rosette Bucket Seats and Rear Seat
G Automatic Transmission
B9Q 3.50 Limited Slip Rear Axle / Power Steering &
Dana 44 Limited Slip Front Axle
04450 Gross Vehicle Weight in Pounds
28 Louisville Ordering District
ORDER TYPE: STOCK
DSO ITEM #: 6814
DEALER #: 28F506
PAYNE MOTOR CO INC
MAIN ST
NEW TAZEWELL TN 37825

IMPORTANT DATES
ORDER DATE: 02/23/73
VEHICLE SERIALIZED: 05/18/73
BUCKED: 06/20/73
SCHEDULED FOR BUILD: 06/11/73
ACTUALLY BUILT: 06/21/73
RELEASED: ------
SOLD: 10/17/73

STATISTICS
Your vehicle was one of:
3,282 With this Paint Code
1,369 With these Paint/Trim Codes
14,373 With these Engine/Transmission Codes
413 Ordered from this DSO
3,407 With Sport Bronco Package

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features: For the 1973 U-100 Bronco
- Skid Plates
- Dana 44 Limited Slip Front Axle
- Power Steering
- G78 x 15-B White Sidewall Tires
- Goodyear Brand Tires
- Swing-Away Spare Tire Carrier
- Sport Bronco Package
- Bodyside Mouldings
- Manual AM Radio
- Auxilary Fuel Tank with Skid Plate