• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Los Angeles area find

JGO

Contributor
Someone has to have a discarded tire rack laying around that looks like it fits on this truck! Trying to keep this period correct so if I can find a rack from the old days that fits I’d love to have it!

Also, a long shot but the artwork on this was signed by a “Dean” it looks like in 1973. Truck is out of Los Angeles area/Ontario, it would be really cool if Dean turned out to be a known artist! Any info appreciated!

Attachments

• DB8B8C5F-208D-47EE-9435-8813CB87DB96.jpeg
    DB8B8C5F-208D-47EE-9435-8813CB87DB96.jpeg
    363.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 9F5F6503-F389-474C-AEB9-8C279CD356AB.jpeg
    9F5F6503-F389-474C-AEB9-8C279CD356AB.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 0C5B452B-01D2-4BBE-884D-91F184708A97.jpeg
    0C5B452B-01D2-4BBE-884D-91F184708A97.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 174
  • A0446752-B792-4003-9FCA-C7578DFC3693.jpeg
    A0446752-B792-4003-9FCA-C7578DFC3693.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 177

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
origional tire racks were castings not steel weldments run a want add in our callisfeds they are not usually too hard to find. harder to find a whole set-up rather than buying parts piecemeal. note inside the sheet metal are brackets with weld nuts to clamp the casting and the sheet metal between nut plates. same with the center handle. study what you need so you get all the pieces.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You will need to loose the tailgate trim and the passengers side cornor trim.

Do you have the inside tire carrier brackets on the inside of the tailgate?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's pretty cool. Is the truck a '71 or '72 by any chance? Just curious.
Someone went to some extra trouble to make clean pivot mounts. Don't remember seeing any like that, but Kayline and a few others (such as Bestop) did make some carriers with latch positions like you have.
Some were as simple as pins with clips to hold the closed carrier in place. Most hinges were stamped plates, where yours are much more complex. Most carrier tubing was simply flattened at the end with a hole drilled/punched so put a bolt through the pivot.
Probably twenty or thirty companies built them for Broncos back in the day. Desert Dynamics, Con-Fer (mostly Jeeps and FJ40's, but some Bronco stuff), Vic Hickey and names I can't remember any longer.
Yours looks like it might have been a wider one, made to carry a spare tire AND a gas can without blocking the tail light. Not sure though.

And yes, holy crap that would be something if the "Dean" in your case was Dean Jeffries!
But you could probably still get in touch with him to see if he remembers doing a Bronco back in '73.

Good luck on all counts.

Paul

4WHLFUN

Contributor
Very cool! Don’t change a thing, including the vintage Desert Duelers. Looks like a Stroppe hitch there although I don’t see the chain hook loop.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
You have the main pivot points already attached so that's a good start. The ones on your truck look different than mine so I'm wondering if they are original and will work though. If you can get the hoop / swing away, you can definitely fill in the smaller parts by thrift shopping in the classified section and ebay.

OP
OP
J

JGO

Contributor
That's pretty cool. Is the truck a '71 or '72 by any chance? Just curious.
Someone went to some extra trouble to make clean pivot mounts. Don't remember seeing any like that, but Kayline and a few others (such as Bestop) did make some carriers with latch positions like you have.
Some were as simple as pins with clips to hold the closed carrier in place. Most hinges were stamped plates, where yours are much more complex. Most carrier tubing was simply flattened at the end with a hole drilled/punched so put a bolt through the pivot.
Probably twenty or thirty companies built them for Broncos back in the day. Desert Dynamics, Con-Fer (mostly Jeeps and FJ40's, but some Bronco stuff), Vic Hickey and names I can't remember any longer.
Yours looks like it might have been a wider one, made to carry a spare tire AND a gas can without blocking the tail light. Not sure though.

And yes, holy crap that would be something if the "Dean" in your case was Dean Jeffries!
But you could probably still get in touch with him to see if he remembers doing a Bronco back in '73.

Good luck on all counts.

Paul
Unfortunitly he passed in 2013, I'd have to have a very successful seance!

OP
OP
J

JGO

Contributor
Interesting. The license plate may be some evidence it was him...
Because of the JFS? I know the Bronco wasn’t his but I would like to believe he laid down the artwork? I heard he didn’t sign his work but maybe he started sometime due to the Barris controversy where Barris claimed some of his work as his supposedly?

OP
OP
J

JGO

Contributor
nice find for sure..
I was able to authenticate the Dean Jeffries connection with his son! Quite a thrill to find out one of the greats had his hands on this truck!

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I was able to authenticate the Dean Jeffries connection with his son! Quite a thrill to find out one of the greats had his hands on this truck!
That is pretty cool! I didn't know about him other than the name, but I just found out he made one of the coolest vehicles ever, The Landmaster from Damnation Alley. My daughter makes fun of me because I love that movie, but it is a part of my childhood and I would be as thrilled as you about having Dean Jeffries artwork on my bronco. Thanks for posting!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

How cool.. Good job