• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Loss of power

Bubbag007

Loc.
Wheat Ridge, CO
70 Bronco sport, 302. Stalls while in motion as well as at idle sometimes. Will not restart if I downshift and dump the clutch, but will again by turning the key, then will die off and on. I have replaced both the Ignition and switch already. What should I try next?
Thanks,

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, start with the basics, spark and fuel. If you have an in line spark tester you can see if the spark is dying out.
If you can't remember when you changed the fuel filter, do it now. If the ignition is original with points and condenser it may be time for a complete tune up.
If it sat all winter the gas may be stale, or full of moisture.
When it is dead I would check for current at the positive side of the coil (key on, just as it stalls).
If you have a tach I would remove the tach lead from the distributor side of the coil until you get this figured out.
Check that out and post back what happens.
Good luck

OP
OP
B

Bubbag007

Loc.
Wheat Ridge, CO
Looks like it might have been a loose wire from dist to battery side of coil. Just had electronic ignition installed and the wire connector seemed loose. Hoping that fixed the issue. I will re-post if not.
Thanks,

OP
OP
B

Bubbag007

Loc.
Wheat Ridge, CO
no luck

Well I guess no luck. Drove it with no problems since last post until 2 days ago then same issue out of the blue.Going to have to keep digging I guess??:?