• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lost Turn Signals, Brake Lights and Hazards

MIDEVIL214

As stated in the title. I found a blown fuse and replaced it which blew again immediately when testing turn signals. Replaced the fuse again and tested things one at a time.
  • Hazards with key off – swapped flashers and tired a known good one from the parts bin. They didn’t function and the fuse did not blow.
  • Wipers and Washer Pump Key on and Accessory – They functioned and didn’t blow the fuse.
  • Key on Reverse Lights – They function, and the fuse didn’t blow.
  • Brake Lights Key On & Off – Do not function, fuse didn’t blow. Double checked wires at brake light switch. Switch is also less than a year old.
  • Key On Turn Signals – Right side no function fuse didn’t blow. Left side no function fuse blows.
  • Front parking lights work without blowing fuse.
Am I correct in assuming the turn signal switch is the culprit? I replaced it about five years ago and never had any issues. I have had the wheel off a few times recently to address a canceling cam issue. I didn’t mess with the wires while doing so. Just snugged down the switch mounting bolts a little while I was in there. I did resort to a BFH and a punch on the steering shaft to loosen the steering wheel adapter/hub.

Last edited:

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Souds like a short to ground on the left side. Could be the switch, or the switch plus a short to ground. I wouldn't replace the switch until I've looked everywhere for a short.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I would suspect the t-signal switch. You can gently wobble the t-signal level and see if it impacts how things work. Mine got sloppy and I could get the brake lights and t-signals to work by gently pressing the lever in different directions.

OP
OP
MIDEVIL214

MIDEVIL214

I’ll see what I can find. I’d really like to just repair a connection and not the entire switch. I can’t even turn the signal left without it blowing.

OP
OP
MIDEVIL214

MIDEVIL214

Found a crunched yellow/black wire on the back of the switch. Not certain it was shorting. Should the signal and flasher functions work in a perfect world with the switch loose and not bolted to the column? I connected battery and tried flashers with it loose and nothing. Ran out of time and hope to investigate further tomorrow.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could also test out at the ends fairly easily.
Remove the left front and rear bulbs and see if it still blows the fuse. Or better yet, disconnect, the left front and rear lights.
If it doesn’t blow the fuse, then the fault is in one of the light sockets or bulbs. If it does, then it’s in the wiring still.
The wiring inside the column is well known for chafing and scraping and shorting out. That would be a good bet, but it’s harder to test.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Once you ID power coming in with a test light you can jump this out to the other circuits and light to brakes and t-signals. This will let you troubleshoot each branch to find your problem or if they are all good let you know the switch is the culprit. You can do this just by removing the wheel. That was how I figured out my switch was sagging dso I gently bent the plastic tabs and it has worked for years.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
You can check for a short to ground inside the column by disconnecting the plug and then checking for continuity from each of the pins in the plug back to the steering column. If you have continuity, you have a wire shorted to the inside of the column.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
With the above try the turn signal in both directions and hazard.

Another option is to know which wires are power in and front and rear turn wires. Disconnect turn signal plug, use a power source that has the correct amp fuse, apply power to the power in to the switch and operate the switch. If it blows the fuse you know it is in the column, if not apply power to the other side of the plug checking wiring going to the light sockets. Don't forget to do the wiggle test as needed. Super easy and fast check .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, when you’re young and flexible! :-(
After awhile, getting around under the dash even at the base of the column isn’t as much fun as it used to be.😉😩

OP
OP
MIDEVIL214

MIDEVIL214

Awesome feedback. It was the pinched yellow/black wire right on the backside of the turn signal switch. I think I was able to salvage it with some electrical tape. To complicate things, once I got the brake lights and turn signals back the hazards still didn’t work. Swapped flashers with no luck. Ended up blowing that fuse too. A new flasher and fuse has me legal again, at least for the time being.