• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lost power - Help ASAP

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
I was driving down the road, then lost all power. No lights, no windshield wipers, no nothing.
Need help now.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Battery terminals, cables, or fusible link off the starter solenoid.

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
Check your ground cable

I was driving down the road, then lost all power. No lights, no windshield wipers, no nothing.
Need help now.

Then check the connections at the solenoid on the battery side where the harness pulls power from. Sounds like a bad connection.

OP
OP
taylorB

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
Battery cables and posts are fine because we're running the radiator fans directly off the battery and they work fan.
More detail on the fusible link?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
as stated, check all electrical connections from battery post to solenoid, and the ground.

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
Well that may not be true

Battery cables and posts are fine because we're running the radiator fans directly off the battery and they work fan.
More detail on the fusible link?

If the fan has a direct lead to the battery + and is grounded to the battery - all you know is your battery has juice.

If the ground from the battery to the engine block is bad then nothing else will work.

If the lead from the battery to the solenoid is bad nothing else will work.

The harness pulls power from the battery side of the solenoid. The main power wire had a fuseable link which acts like a circuit breaker in case of a short to prevent a fire.

An electrical fusible link is a type of electrical fuse that is constructed simply with a short piece of wire typically four American wire gauge sizes smaller than the wire that is being protected. For example, an AWG 16 fusible link might be used to protect AWG 12 wiring. Electrical fusible links are common in high-current automotive applications. The wire in an electrical fusible link is encased in high-temperature fire-resistant insulation to reduce hazards when the wire melts.

You may have shorted and the FL may have done it's job. Start at the battery and check all the connections. Pay close attention to the battery side of the solenoid. Make sure not only the battery end of the ground cable is good but also the other end. You can turn your lights on and then use a screwdriver between the - battery post and some bare metal like the alt bracket to see if a ground is the problem.

If all those connections and cables seem good trace the wire from the solenoid to see what it looks like.

OP
OP
taylorB

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
Thanks Viperwolf1, I was having my girlfriend relay me the info over the phone and i was confused on the "fusible link" i just shrugged it off. So i checked the voltage reg. thought perhaps it just shorted out or something...that wasnt it. I was about to give up when i noticed a wire hangin beside the starter solenoid, there are so many random wires hangin on this thing i almost didnt think anything of it. But sure enough there was a little black box on that wire that read "FUSIBLE LINK" It musta just been really brittle and just snapped at the connection point. Golly i felt dumb haha