• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Low Pressure external EFI pump recomendations

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
What pump is everyone running? ACDelco EP247 or something different? Been around and around on if I need LP pump and accumulator and had planed on NOT running them but now I'm kicking the idea around.

I know some are LOUD as all get out. I would like to get one that's not going to be heard over the cherry bombs...lol

Did some searching and didn't find much info.

Tim

70_Steve

Old Guy
Low Pressure external EFI pump recomendations
My recommendation is "Don't run one." I considered the idea when I was planning my EFI conversion. But kept reading about the problems guys with two pumps and an accumulator were having. So I decided to stay with the KISS principal. I already had a 23 gallon tank, but not set up for internal fuel pump. So, I mounted an E2000 pump on the inside of the drivers frame rail, above the rear axle tube, and it's been fine for 6 years. The one I'm running cost me $35 or so on Ebay.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My recommendation is "Don't run one." I considered the idea when I was planning my EFI conversion. But kept reading about the problems guys with two pumps and an accumulator were having. So I decided to stay with the KISS principal. I already had a 23 gallon tank, but not set up for internal fuel pump. So, I mounted an E2000 pump on the inside of the drivers frame rail, above the rear axle tube, and it's been fine for 6 years. The one I'm running cost me $35 or so on Ebay.

^^^That is my plan. I have everything but the E2000. I don't have the 23 gal tank just a stock one (for now). I'm to the point of just trying to get it running using the E2000 external only but will be looking to upgrade to new tanks/pumps in the future. Trying to get all the information possible and a feel for the $$ it's going to cost me as I'm WAY over budget on the 351W and EFI conversion. I guess I just need to stop reading as the more I read the more I waffle on LP pump, accumulator and HP pump vs. just an external HP pump. Not to mention the intank pumps

It would be interesting to see how many are running external HP's only and not having issues and with what tank.

Tim

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
76BroncoFromHell has some good information in another thread on accumulators/pumps on the physics behind fuel pump pressures, vapor lock, etc. His science is sound.

However, there are those of us (anomalies, outliers in the dataset?) that have had very good experiences running a single external high-pressure pump without issues. I'm approaching the start of year 19 with mine and my $20 junkyard pump. I had a NWMP tank from 1997 until about 2005 and a BC Broncos tank with internal sump since then. I live in Phoenix (like 70_Steve) so we're probably worst case when it comes to environmental and vehicle heat. I've had my setup on the highest passes in CO (Imogene Pass, 13k ft. and others) in the summer several times without incident and I routinely run above 5k ft. elevation here in AZ. I had a stumble on a hill in December of 1997 with a low tank and once again a few years later on a very steep climb. The truck re-started quickly in both cases. I think the BC tank's sump has eliminated any reoccurrences of those situations. My truck runs great at off-camber angles far greater than my pucker factor will allow me to drive comfortably.

That said, I am still constantly looking at in-tank setups but I'm hesitant to change a setup that simply, works. In our engineering world, we refer to them as catastrophic improvements :).

Todd Z.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
HP external mounted near the rear tank is all you need. The cooler the temp where it's mounted is best. Then if you ever change tanks get one with internal HP and you'll never look back.

AZ69EB

Follow what Steve & Todd said. I also have the EX2000 mounted to a plate next to stock rear tank. I added a clear fuel filter before the pump and high pressure stock fuel filter after pump. I also live in Phoenix. Mine has been running great for 5 or 6 years. I also have played in the Cinders in Flagstaff without any issues. Elevation over 6500 feet. Good luck & keep it simple.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Todd's right, the bronco from hell has some good points but, physics isn't always right as hundreds or probably thousands of guys have proven...

A single high pressure pump works...

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Until or unless it doesn't.

It isn't the physics that is the difference between those that work and those that don't work. It is a difference in the vehicle. Sometimes the difference is obvious and other times it is very much not obvious. I worked with one guy whose truck wouldn't reliably run on a low tank at altitude on a summer day in AZ/CO/NM until he went to an in-tank pump. We could not ever find a reason why it wouldn't work with anything tried until the in-tank pump.

I would plan on a two pump + accumulator system, but start out with a single pump and see if it works. If it does then good. If it does not then you're set-up for the change to a two pump + accumulator system.

I am using a Carter P4070 pump for the lift pump, partly because I have several of them left over form an old job, partly because they come highly recommended here and other places. I am starting out contrary to my advice above because I am using a marine water separating filter between the tank and the HP pump. Asking the HP to draw thru a filter that fine is asking for trouble.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I understand the argument or rather the discussion as to which way is best.

If my single pump solution does not work, I would like to know what LP pumps everyone is using. I'm going with a single HP pump for now to get my rig running but if it's not drivable due to the physics involved, I'm going to add a LP pump to get rolling.

So what LP pump is everyone using that's using an LP pump?

Tim

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
No need to complicate the system - I ran a healthy 351w for years with just a HP pump ~18" from the stock tank feed without a single issue.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
There is no resolution to the argument of whether or not to go in this direction or not. The OP asked for a lift pump recommendation, why all of the redirects? Some will want it one way, others will want it differently. Polarizing the question displays a lack of tolerance. If you don't like the guy's "religion" don't post. Trying to convert him in this thread isn't what was asked for.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
There is no resolution to the argument of whether or not to go in this direction or not. The OP asked for a lift pump recommendation, why all of the redirects? Some will want it one way, others will want it differently. Polarizing the question displays a lack of tolerance. If you don't like the guy's "religion" don't post. Trying to convert him in this thread isn't what was asked for.

Because I know better %)

Haha - the less complication the better. Less wiring, less clamps and less points of failure - simple rules to live by on a simple vehicle.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
As I stated I know of vehicles where no lift pump and no accumulator didn't work, they vapor locked. I know of vehicles where only going to an in-tank pump fixed the vapor lock, an external EFI pump - with or without and lift pump & accumulator still vapor locked.

So I know better too, and mine is different than yours.

And none of that is the point of this thread.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Well I JUST walked in from finishing the hard lines so I'll be moving forward with the rest of the plumbing soon.

Plan is to TRY using only the E2000 and if I have issues I'll move to a 2 pump setup.

Looking at the following LP pumps ACDelco EP247, Carter P74022, P4600, P4070

Advantages/Disadvantages to the above pumps or suggestions on a different pump if the one pump setup don't work on my rig?

Tim

TonyPDX

Contributor
I run a Carter P4070 Low pressure and a Carter P5000 high pressure. I have been happy with this set up for nearly 10 years now.

Tony

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Because I know better %)

Me too. My mechanical LP pump, accumulator/filter and in-line HP pump setup has been stone-cold reliable for 12-13 years and counting.

But I went with a single HP in-tank pump on one of the current builds and a single HP frame-mounted pump on the other current build.

LOL...one of everything. ;D

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
What pump is everyone running? ACDelco EP247 or something different? Been around and around on if I need LP pump and accumulator and had planed on NOT running them but now I'm kicking the idea around.
Tim

I am running two of the Carter P4070 universal pumps. They feed a HP pump. No problems so far. I am in the process of redesigning my system. I will use one of the pumps as a transfer pump. I may try to eliminate the LP and only use the HP.
-Starman