• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lower Radiator Hose- Tight Fit

JT58

Loc.
Naples
My Bronco build is progressing very slow but steady- entire front end is off now and all body panels being replaced. While the front end is open and engine accessible I am cleaning and touching up the 302 engine with paint, checking all hoses and clamps and just replaced the lower radiator hose with a new one from TBP. It previously had a universal coil style hose, worn out and ready to break. The new one is formed to fit with the coil spring inside. It's a very tight fit- it snakes under the alternator bracket and rests against the frame. There is very little clearance for the fan- only about 1/4-1/2 inch depending how much I crunch up the hose. I have not installed the radiator just yet and I am afraid that if the hose needs to stretch even a little out towards the radiator it will hit the fan. Is this normal? Is perhaps my fan too big in diameter? And is it OK that the hose rests against the front frame cross member?

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Can you post a pic? What size fan do you have? Do you have a shroud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
J

JT58

Loc.
Naples
Can you post a pic? What size fan do you have? Do you have a shroud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I have a shroud- completely forgot about that. It won't hit the fan with the shroud in place. It was a late night working on the Bronco last night and going back and forth to the storage unit for parts for test fit. Now I am more worried about the fan belt hitting the hose when I snake the hose around the shroud. I will need to see when I mount the front clip, then the radiator.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've found some of the upper hoses they sell too short on the radiator side putting em real close to the fan

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The lower hose is a booger to install.there is very little spase between the frame and radiator to get the hose on.
But, it can be done.
My biggest concern has always been how closely that hose runs around the harmonic balancer.

Mitche11

Steve, is a split level or are you taking the whole thing off the foundation? Just kidding...

I hate the way they look, but after many different fittings, trimming, and swaps, I found that the best fit is from the universal type lower hose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike42p

I just looked at my lower radiator hose and it is rubbing through against the harmonic balancer. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Different hose option?

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess it depends on what balancer you're using. I guestimate I have a good 1/4 - 1/2" between my hose and balancer.
And I do love silicone hoses. They slip on/off super easy. I'll never go back to rubber hoses.

Attachments

• Lower Rad Hose1.jpg
    Lower Rad Hose1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Lower Rad Hose2.jpg
    Lower Rad Hose2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 51