• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

M5ODR2 conversion complete

destroyer000

i have done this swap as well. explorer 5.0 was originally auto with a np205 tcase and then i swapped to standard.. i tried both f150 masters and went to the older 92 style one for clearance purposes with a 9 inch booster. i believe this is the smaller 5/8 bore and works fine. where do you have your clutch rod on the pedal? originally i mounted mine to low and had a super hard time pushing my clutch in.. i ended up moving it way up and my clutch is feather light way more enjoyable to drive .

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Added the leaking adaptor thread to the links posted earlier. Fingers crossed it's solved.

I have a LUK177 (18mm) 0.708 inch bore being delivered today for testing. Plan is to replace the 0.875 inch bore on there now. See if it improves the pedal travel/feather

The 5/8 bore I think is a WildWood I think. It doesn't use the same style hose connections as the one I have now. May have to test it out if the above don't work.

I'm using the Speed o hole so it's mounted a bit low and yes is a factor in the stiffness but I'm looking for more feather. I can handle the stiffness. It's about the same as my 14 Shelby

Tim

Big Slim

i blead my master more and seems like it helped. does use the full travel. feels like i can spin the transfer case easier. have yet to drive it. probably next weekend once exhaust is on i can get an update. hope it works for you.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I've not abandon the MC swaps. It was delivered however the wife car jumped to the front of the line. Got that fixed and thought I would take on a small project (Samurai EPS). 3 days of storms with big hail had my work bay filled with my big red truck. Pulled the Sam in and stated on it only to find a steering column issue (collapsible plastic pins in the shaft were broken) so what should have been quick and easy turned into a project. Has to order parts. Finishing it up in the next day or so and then the MC swap is next in line.

Fingers crossed.....

Tim

Big Slim

i got mine started and moved a couple times. no grinding on gears and shifts great. i think the master cylinder is a keeper. very easy to push. not sure what was going on earlier but seems fine now.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
That's great news. Had an issue with the EPS on the Sam. Had to track down a bad connection. Just have one more connection to make and it's done. Then the MC switch

Tim

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
New MC installed.....It's not fully bleed yet. Gave it a go and it sure seems better as in more feather. The release is at the floor but I think that's because of air still in the system, Will have help bleeding this afternoon I hope......

Tim

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
New MC bleed and we have FEATHER. The 1996 FORD F-150 5.0L V8 LMC177 (Luk part number) Clutch Master Cylinder (18mm) 0.708 inch bore is perfect. It's no where near as stiff and the feather begins just off the bottom of the stroke. The stroke is just a hair shorter so have to adjust the stop I put in but the difference is night and day over the larger bore MC I was using.

Test drive was all good. No issues at all shifting......Looks like this is solved for me.....Fingers crossed the adapter leak doesn't come back.

Tim

Jaysfastback

New MC bleed and we have FEATHER. The 1996 FORD F-150 5.0L V8 LMC177 (Luk part number) Clutch Master Cylinder (18mm) 0.708 inch bore is perfect. It's no where near as stiff and the feather begins just off the bottom of the stroke. The stroke is just a hair shorter so have to adjust the stop I put in but the difference is night and day over the larger bore MC I was using.

Test drive was all good. No issues at all shifting......Looks like this is solved for me.....Fingers crossed the adapter leak doesn't come back.

Tim
Hello I'm having issue like urs with stiff pedal and it is mounted thru the speedo hole also. With the lmc177 ms did u keep it in the same hole or move it up on the firewall? Thanks jay

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
No stiffer than my 2014 Shelby, Mounting the master up higher will make it softer.

I used a speed bit to make the Speed-o hole bigger. I will say I went UP meaning I made the hole larger not going any lower than the original hole.

Tim

Attachments

• 20220206_102525.jpg
    20220206_102525.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220206_103025.jpg
    20220206_103025.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220206_103039.jpg
    20220206_103039.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220209_131619.jpg
    20220209_131619.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 35

Jaysfastback

No stiffer than my 2014 Shelby, Mounting the master up higher will make it softer.

I used a speed bit to make the Speed-o hole bigger. I will say I went UP meaning I made the hole larger not going any lower than the original hole.

Tim
Appreciate the pics that looks almost identical to mine but I have a 1990 master cylinder on mine off f250 5.
0 zf . And I extended the rod to reach the pedal. All is bled gd but pedal is so hard to push like it is. I can just push it down but this bronco is my daughters and in no way can she push it. I was gonna move the hole up further to mount the mc but I too have the power brake booster bracket to contend with.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Those pictures are from mack-up. The MC shown is a 1992 F150 LUK LMC176 Master Cylinder Bore Size: 0.875 which was like an oh/off switch. Very short stroke. Very hard to drive in stop and go traffic and a touch stiffer than what I use now. I now use a LUK177 (18mm) 0.708 inch bore from a 1996 FORD F-150 5.0L which is a longer stroke and much better feel i.e. feather.

Tim

Jaysfastback

Those pictures are from mack-up. The MC shown is a 1992 F150 LUK LMC176 Master Cylinder Bore Size: 0.875 which was like an oh/off switch. Very short stroke. Very hard to drive in stop and go traffic and a touch stiffer than what I use now. I now use a LUK177 (18mm) 0.708 inch bore from a 1996 FORD F-150 5.0L which is a longer stroke and much better feel i.e. feather.

Tim
Thanks for the info gonna try that setup and keep updated

Chevitz

Thanks for all the info Timmy! I just ordered the slave, master and LUK clutch from Rockauto. The hose is out of stock, but BC Broncos has a stainless ZF hose that should work. Unfortunately my M5OD is one with the forward shifter, but I think I’m just gonna fab up a shifter that will clear the dash.