• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Machining intermediate housing to accept four speed toploader

Mybronc-herpony

Was wondering if anyone out there has experience with having their intermediate housing to accept a four speed toploader. I've sourced a wide-ratio one from a mustang. I have no intention of doing heavy off roading, and wanted it for highway cruising. I'm now at the point that I need to find someone who can drill for the extra shift rail and machine for the bearing. Who would someone go to for this kind of work?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Mybronc, sounds like a cool project. Sorry I don't know the details, as all the ones I've worked on had the old adapters that were popular way back when.
And the one guy I know now that has one, I don't have any close-up pics to check out.
Not that pics would likely show the finer details of what you need, but it might have been a start.

Good luck. Hopefully someone has done it, or knows where to find that info.

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Good luck on the machining and finding out what you need...could you post up some pics and details when you get it figured out??

I ran a 4 spd toploader for years...absolutely loved it. Went through 2, yes two Advanced Adapters mainshafts/adapter kits. I'm sure your's will work better than their's ever did...

I've had 6 different tranny's in my Bronco since '76...toploader was the MOST FUN!! :)

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I used a local machinist. It didn't take him long. Not sure where you are located but most towns have a machine shop somewhere.

Are you using an Advance Adapters kit or putting your own setup together?

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
as broncodriver99 said; used local machinist, made a gasket and carried it to him and he setup and cut while waited. Works great.. where you located?