• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Market price check on Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEXAS_60

Reformed Toyota FJ40 owner looking for a Bronco to use for hunting in West Texas. I'm just getting into Broncos and have recently begun searching for one over the last 30 days. I'm hoping you can provide some guidance to a newbie on true market value. I like the looks of the one in the link below but wonder if this guy is a couple grand high on the price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...006QQitemZ160138421367QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

One more..opinion on what this is worth? I don't think it actually sold despite the positive feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110126380179#description

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TEXAS_60

C'mon guys! 20 views and nobody has an opinion? Help a newbie out here!

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
Well, I paid $6800 for mine, and the body isn't as good as that first one. I feel like I paid a couple thousand too much. If you really like it, I wouldn't offer more than $5500.

Do you want something you can just drive and not worry about fixing or upgrading? If so, you'll probably have to pay $8-10K or more. Chances are you'll be working on it anyway to make it the way you want it.

I'm sure someone else can offer better advice than me. Good luck with your search!

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
I definitely wouldn't go for the first one. In the ad it says Transmission: automatic, but in the description it says, "duff 3 spd floor shifter." Which is it, manual or auto? He also doesn't give much info about the drivetrain, which is pretty important.

The second one looks good from the description, and has some solid running gear, but the price shows it. I'd keep looking around for sure.

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
Good call 2BroncFamily, I didn't catch that about the tranny. I was just looking at the pics.:)

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
Surprised with the lack of response, I don't usually get into these "what $%#s worth" threads, but I'll tell you what you need to know. Rust, not the kind you get rid of with a red scuffy pad, but really nasty stuff, rot, structural damage, things completely missing. Thats what you need to know about. Broncos are awesome at self destructing. If the body is clean, and solid, the rest is easy. Hell, I'd scoot out there for a rig thats all there!,and I do body work. Probably worth it, try and beat em up on the price and see if theres any extra parts that come with it. Any self respecting Bronco guy has parts ( from NH thats paaaats). Good luck.

BLUE72

Honestly I think it depends on the day and what else is in the maket at the time. I had a White 70 that I had for sale on Ebay and locally. It sat for two months with just tire kickers. I had it listed for $9500.00. I ended up trading it for another bronco and about a week later the new owner put it on ebay again and sold it for $16,000. He did nothing other than repost it. Like I said I guess it just depends on the day.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I paid $5200 for my stock (but cut) 70 Bronco in October of 2006. No lift, original engine/tranny, good body except for rust in the floor, complete with doors, hard top, all interior pieces, and a soft top, all in reasonable shape. Numerous people have told me they'd have paid upwards of $6-7K for it as it was... And I tore it all apart anyway :)...

My suggestion to you is to look at a whole bunch of Broncos, as many as you can that are advertised locally. Drive a few and really spend some time inspecting for rust and other problems. I'm a bit leery of ebay sales of vehicles unless its close enough to see in person. Too many horror stories...

Good luck, and congrats on taking a step in the right direction, away from Toys and towards a real AMERICAN 4x4...

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Moved to the Classifieds forums because of the eBay links.

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
The first one is priced too high given the issues discussed. The second Bronco I would pay $8-10k for in a heartbeat.

bralston

I think everyone is pretty accurate. But you do want to avoid the rust, I have a 76 bronco for sale on this post that I bought, the guy said limited to no rust and I just spent 6 months getting rid of all the rust, ripping floor pans out, engine wall, everything to make it rust proof. I can guarantee that first one has rust and isn't worth the price, but the second one seems nice. You really have to ask questions, look underneath, etc. to make sure. My 2cents. I have a nice one for about $12,000. But it just depends on what your wanting and your budget. I wouldn't be afraid to look for a while until your happy. Better a good buy than an early buy in the long run.

OP
OP
T

TEXAS_60

Thanks for the thoughts and comments everyone has provided. I'm not in a big hurry so I'll take my time and continue hunting for the right one. The second one in my post has been sold so unfortunately it's not an option.

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
Texas,

I sent them a question on the first one you listed above & it is a 3 speed....but they (the lister) are only a company people bring stuff to to sell on ebay. It took 2 days for a response & they know nothing about the drivetrain or axles, I asked about those specifically. I hadn't seen the second one yet, but I'm looking for a 71 if I can find it.

The 73 in my sig went bye bye over the winter & I'm sorry I let it go but here's what I learned from the ordeal that will help you hopefully. I paid 6000.00 for it & sold it for 8300.00. The only thing I did to it was put a new fuel pump on, that's it. These thing are appreciating RAPIDLY. All depends when you buy or sell it, as mentioned above. I'd venture to say seasons have something to do with that too. I've been looking here & ebay almost every day for the last month or so & an EB like mine can't be had for less than 8500.00 from what I'm seeing. Mine was by no means perfect, it was a rock rig but well taken care of by the PO & me. It had numerous dents in the body, bad tailgate, bad door posts, bad strikers, & I think the tub was twisted a little from wheeling. To the right guy, myself included, none of that mattered. Value is usually determined by the guy that wants to buy it.

My 73 was built to do one thing well which was crawl. I wheeled it a couple times but mostly it was a "run around town" toy for me & the family. It was way too modified for what I had intended to do with it but the price was reasonable to me at the time so I bought it, only after looking it over in person (I saw it on ebay but it was close to an area I work in). My point is this & this was mentioned above too, look for a solid platform & build what you want. It will help you understand the truck in a whole new way. The PO on mine was an engineer & was meticulous about his modifications but it was still difficult to try to figure out where some things went or came from because I had no knowledge of how it was done to begin with. Also if you see it on Ebay, make damn sure you can put your hands on it before you pony up the cash. I bought my Super Duty though ebay & while it's a solid truck now, after ALOT of repairs & improvements, had I seen it in person, I'd have passed it by.

All been said before, just giving a little "real life" experience to back it up. Good luck with your search.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I just spent about 2 months on e-bay looking and waiting before I bought mine.

One thing I have figured out, most e-bayers aren't going to tell you everything. Overall I am satisfied with my purchase, but there were some mis-leading words in the add.

I think the top one is worth $4,500 - $5,500 tops, that's IF the Bronco is as described and there aren't any major surprises.

The second one, it has a lot of work done that most Bronco owners will want to do, so there's some value in that. I agree with others, $8,500 is a good price for it.

One last thing, I won mine on a second chance offer. The guy that outbid me couldn't pony up the dough, so the seller gave me the Bronco for what I had bid for it. In other words, even if you get outbid, you can still win the auction.

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
Value is usually determined by the guy that wants to buy it.

I disagree. In my opinion/world, "price" and not value is determined by the guy that wants to buy it. Value is instrinsic to the item being sold on an open market. Just because some fish is willing or dumb enough to pay $20 for a $10 item does not make the item worth $20. It makes the purchaser a fool, or uneducated in the commodity he is purchasing.

Price and value are two entirely different things. If you make a sharp deal on an EB because you are good at negotiating, or because the seller is either desparate or uneducated about the value of the EB, that does not make the EB's value less, it means you made a good deal for yourself.

I totally understand what you are saying here. But Texas' question was not "how much would any old sucker pay for this rig or that rig." Rather, he was asking how to determine true value.

Last edited:

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
Reformed Toyota FJ40 owner looking for a Bronco to use for hunting in West Texas. I'm just getting into Broncos and have recently begun searching for one over the last 30 days. I'm hoping you can provide some guidance to a newbie on true market value. I like the looks of the one in the link below but wonder if this guy is a couple grand high on the price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...006QQitemZ160138421367QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

One more..opinion on what this is worth? I don't think it actually sold despite the positive feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110126380179#description

Thanks in advance for the help!

I agree 100 percert with what you just said, price & value are to totally different things. I should have worded what I typed differently. What I was getting at is it's only worth what someone will pay you for it, despite what a book or your opinion tells you it's worth. True, that doesn't change the value.

Now what texas asked for is true market value & worth, which is different from value. TMV is a gauge of what the current local market price is for any product compared to prices in other markets selling the same product. While it's has "value" in the name, it is a direct reflection of what the buyers are willing to pay for the product. So isn't that "worth" again?

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
I agree 100 percert with what you just said, price & value are to totally different things. I should have worded what I typed differently. What I was getting at is it's only worth what someone will pay you for it, despite what a book or your opinion tells you it's worth. True, that doesn't change the value.

Now what texas asked for is true market value & worth, which is different from value. TMV is a gauge of what the current local market price is for any product compared to prices in other markets selling the same product. While it's has "value" in the name, it is a direct reflection of what the buyers are willing to pay for the product. So isn't that "worth" again?

In my opinion you are talking about two different things. You are talking about what it might "personally" be worth to this buyer or that buyer, which would change from buyer to buyer and would in turn have a fluctuating worth/value.

My Bronco probably has a market value of about $20,000. I didn't pay that much for it because I got an extremely good deal (I think) from someone who didn't appreciate the intrinsic value of an EB, and didn't have the time to wait for other buyers, he needed the cash. As a result, I paid about 60% of what it is worth. It probably isn't "worth" that much to many people either because they can't see spending that much for such an old vehicle, do not understand the vehicle, or do not love the vehicle like Bronco enthusiasts. When you speak of the "local market" you have to be specific: its not the local car buying market in general, but rather, the Bronco buying community that sets the value of these trucks.

So while I agree with you that the "personal worth" of something says what a given person might pay on a given day, that amount often varies considerably with market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.