• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mass Buy: Front Disc Conversion Dana 30 & 44

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Those are going to be Chevy spindles, they have to be or you'd have to change the knuckles. The Ford disk spindles were 5 bolt pattern and the drum/Chevy setup uses 6 bolt splindles.

My personal favorite line in the whole ad is "new take-off spindles". What exactly is that? Sounds like used to me. And I know you can buy "used" spindle and backing plate setups for about $100, including used caliper bolts (I've sold enough sets at that price...).

For someone who just won't put the parts together on their own, then this kit may be the way to go. Otherwise, you'd save $$ getting the parts together yourself. Shipping on the hub/rotor assy is silly, they're like $35 each from Autozone and it'll cost you $10 more to ship.
Joe

yak67

Bronco Guru
those of you who have done this conversion and bought the parts on your own, about how much did it run? any idea? would we save quite a bit by just finding everything ourselves? can we get most everything at an autoparts store? just wondering, thanks.

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I think the hardest things to find on your own are the Spindles, and the caliper mounting plates. From my understanding you just can't walk into Auto Zone or NAPA and buy these. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's what I think are the hard to find parts:
Chevy Spindle 376853 K5 Blazer/Jimmy 72-76
Backing Plates: (77 Blazer)

NYCBronco

I'm fairly new around here, so if this is a dumb question, point me in the right direction and laugh later.

I plan to go to my local parts joint, which gives me a nice mechanic's discount, and see if I can't get this stuff cheaper than the kit. I found a list of some of the stuff I need here:

http://classicbroncos.com/disc-list.shtml

The site it refers for a complete list is down. Anyone got a list, soup to nuts, of what is needed to do the chebby conversion? My local parts joint treats me nice partly because I go in with things like part numbers and save them time.

Thanks!

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
In addition to what's listed you'll need:

1. Brake Hoses, stock ones for '75 Jeep Cherokee (or what the calipers come from). ($35/pair)
2. Banjo bolts to mount the hoses to the calipers. **
3. Brake pads. ($15)
4. Caliper bolts. **
5. Oil seals, $5.
6. Bolt/washer combo, free.

Get a guy like me who sells the used spindles/backing plates and I include the caliper bolts and banjo bolts. I usually sell sets between $100-125, depending on shipping. Then the hub/rotor set was $35/side.

Optional parts are:

1. New wheel bearings. The hub/rotor assy comes with new races installed, so you can reuse your old bearings if they're good, or spend another $35 or so on new ones.
2. Longer spindle mounting studs. The Ford ones are a little short with the Chevy spindle, not 100% required, but if you plan to wheel the truck then get them.
3. You can get the Chevy outer stub axle and use it as well (if you're already running the 297/760 size joints).

Total is about $250 for the basic stuff, then add if you need new bearings (which he doesn't include) or if you feel braided stainless lines are better than OEM.