• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Massive spill

behemoth

Bronco Guru
I was attempting to remove the transfer case from the c4 that I bought, when the spill happened. The C4 was apparently full or near full of fluid. How do you clean up the cement after a transmission fluid spill. I have a large stain now that I would like to get rid of.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
HaHa! Same thing happened to me. I used about 4 big jugs of that clumping kitty litter. Used a broom to work it into the spill. That stuff really works great for cleaning up a spill like that. Good luck!

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Kitty litter is the best for any viscous fluid clean up.

Once you get the bulk of it outta the garage, then pour more on the concrete and massage in with a heavy brush (Home Depot has them with chemical cleaners).

jhunte17

Loc.
Franklin, TN
You may never completely get the stain out but Tide powder or Cascade powder worked with a stiff brush will also work wonders on a stained garage floor.

66horse

Bronco Guru
I find brake cleaner and carb cleaner work pretty well once you get the bulk of it up.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
HEHEHE ;D Lots of people are amazed at just how much ATF is in an auto tranny. It's gallons, not quarts. You don't get much of it out if you drain or drop the pan, but if you tilt the tranny you'll get LOTS! Home Depot sells garage floor cleaner by the gallon. Mix some with water, work in with a brush (I use a push broom) and rinse. It works great.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Gallon of simple green ($9 at home depot)
Pour it on work it in with a deck brush and hose off.
You'll be amazed!;D

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I never got a spill that big, but when ever I dribble a little motor oil or gear lube, I wipe it up w/ some paper towles and then when I'm done, I hit the spots with GUNK engine degreaser and let it set there for a few minutes, then bust out the hose and hose it down as best as possible (Also to diute the polutants as much as can be.) never any spots left over

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Once the puddles are wiped up and you need to attack the stain, I start with some laundry soap, a garden hose and a stiff broom. Does a good job cleaning up and doesn't cost anything since I already have everything.

Someday I will go out and get some super driveway cleaner and try that route, probably just before I go to sell the house.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If it is were you can wash it then waterless hand cleaner works real good . Put it on and work it in with a brush and hose off like new. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

Tuck

One thing I DON'T recommend is muriatic (hydrochloric) acid. This is made for the job, & it etches cement as it cleans. I did a badly stained cement driveway with it, but it tends to highlight the bad areas. The driveway I did was not stained with just oil though, it was old & stained brown. It ended up looking worse than when I started. For an oil spill, I'd use the kitty litter & degreaser of your choice.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Has anyone tried the yellow degreaser from Harbor Freight? I was in a store last week and someone was carrying out 10 gal. of it. He said it worked great but not much else. It sells for $10 a gallon.

bronco977

Loc.
Bakersfield
I use the Harbor Freight yellow cleaner- I love it! The stuff really is caustic if you use it straight, but if you cut it about 70/30 with water, it works good on oil stains. I accidently dumped 5 qts of icky used motor oil on my drive way, and the degreaser stripped off completely.

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I will let you all know what worked for me. I cleaned it up to the point that it was only a stain and left some newspaper on it. It appears as though the newspaper has absorbed more of it.