• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mechanical Gas Pump Replacing ?'s

Grover

Loc.
luhavull
I have never replaced a gas pump before but am planning on changing the one in my 76 this week and want to know what I should look out for. I have the new pump and it said something to the effect to make sure you know if the pump that is being removed is in the up or down position before you remove it, how do I know? Also it said to make sure to lube the rocker arm, I am assuming that this is the arm on the pump am I right? Thanks for any help.

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
There is probably some way to see for sure where your fuel pump cam is but I always do it by feel if it is really hard to line up the bolts then I bump the starter over til it fits easily. I use a little lucas on the arm.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
On the front of the cam gear there is an ecentric that moves the lever up and down. When you install the fuel pump the lever must go under the ecentric. This makes installing the pump a pain because you must the spring in the fuel pump as you are trying to put the 2 bolts in that hold the pump in place.

As for lubing the arm, minimum of a wipe of fresh motor oil. Engine assambly lube works good if you have some around. Petroloum Jelly is good as well and disolves in motor oil. Avoid wheel bearing grease, I find it doesn't mix very well with engine oil.

If the pump goes in real easy and the truck only runs for about a minute then dies, you probably got the pump installed with the arm on top of the ecentric. Just reinstall.

I have never needed to rotate an engine over in order to install a fuel pump.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
clean off those boss surfaces really well and don't forget to use some gasket lube to keep those babies fresh. when the pump is first installed, it'll be sitting at an angle...cranking the 2 bolts will pull it in for a tight flush fit.

OP
OP
G

Grover

Loc.
luhavull
I thought that this was going to be a lot easier than it has been so far. I started to take the pump off yesterday and realized in order to get to the pump I had to remove half of the crap under the hood. I finally got to it and got it off but I think it's going to be all that much harder to get the new pump on. I tried all my sockets which the ratchet hit the pump, then I used an extention but it left no room for the ratchet to turn. Next I tried the wrench but it was too wide and wouldn't turn a bolt either. Maybe I should have mentioned that this is a 351W not the 302 I don't know if this makes it any easier. I know I would want to try and change one of these on the trail. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
i got the same.

its tight in there, but shouldn't be impossible. its a real simple removal and install, as far as the part. if you can't get it out, i can only think of a few options. removing the timing cover; undoing the motormounts and jacking/lifting up the front of the engine to buy yourself a bit of clearance; or pulling the motor.

by the way, you sure you need to replace your pump? those things are simple and not alot to go wrong. if ya got fuel starvation, check the filter, pickup in the tank, and the lines.

OP
OP
G

Grover

Loc.
luhavull
I have a new tank, new stainless braided lines, new filters (2) and no fuel. I did get the old pump out but it was a hassel, I had to remove the fan belt and move the tranny cooler forward just to buy myself a little room. I am just worried about putting the new one in since taking things apart is always easier than putting them back together.