• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mechanical vs. Elect Fuel Pump

COSCAG00

I am still trying to get my 351w swap done, and am wondering what is better a mechanical fuel pump or an electric one? Is one more reliable than the other? I will be running a 2 barrel carburetor if that makes any difference.

Are there any pros/cons over running one or the other?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I like the mechanical one better, simple, cheap,don't get hot and don't have to run wires.

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I run mechanical, but had an electric in-line pump for a while. Both work great, but the mechanical is hassle free, no need to run power to it and runs only when it is supposed to(engine is turning).

Electric is not bad though, but you'll need a fuel pressure regulator also.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I like the mechanical one better, simple, cheap,don't get hot and don't have to run wires.
That's Skiddy! Simple and cheap!!! :-X.......;D

I ran an electric pump when I had a carb to help eliminate vapor lock. This allowed me to install the pump right by the tank, so the majority of the fuel line was under pressure.

I also ran the fuel line on the outside of the frame rail.

I live in Phoenix, AZ, I do wheel in the summer and, for example, today is supposed to be 113°. Vapor lock was a concern. Being in Texass, vapor lock might be a concern for you also.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Electric pumps are more reliable, if you buy a good one. The mechanical ones are not the same quality as they were. They are easy to change out, though. There isn't a single car made today that has a mechanical fuel pump.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
The nice part of having an electric fuel pump is you can Kill the flow......period. On an engine fire its nice to stop the flow of gas......NOW....YES THEY TAKE SOME ELECTRICAL SMARTS...TO HOOK UP..BUT ITS ONLY 12volts....it aint High Voltage.....is it?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I like electric pumps better. I've had them last way longer than todays mechancal pumps and they are not that hard to wire up 1 hot wire and a ground no problems. I've used a carter P4070 for about 30 years and several different carbs and have yet to need a pressure regulator. Also have yet to have a failure although I did swap out my 25 year old carter for a new one just because it was 25 years old but it was still pumping fine when removed.

nrramse

I like electric pumps better. I've had them last way longer than todays mechancal pumps and they are not that hard to wire up 1 hot wire and a ground no problems. I've used a carter P4070 for about 30 years and several different carbs and have yet to need a pressure regulator. Also have yet to have a failure although I did swap out my 25 year old carter for a new one just because it was 25 years old but it was still pumping fine when removed.

I agree - I like the electric one. It transmits less heat to the fuel than the mechanical one, plus its one less source of oil leaks!

I've got a Carter too. Its a little loud for the first few minutes, but its a nice unit. Its probably overkill, but I wired in two pumps - one for each tank.

OP
OP
C

COSCAG00

Thanks guys there are some valid points either way. I think I am going to go with a mechanical and see how that works, I can always change.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
The nice part of having an electric fuel pump is you can Kill the flow......period. On an engine fire its nice to stop the flow of gas......NOW....YES THEY TAKE SOME ELECTRICAL SMARTS...TO HOOK UP..BUT ITS ONLY 12volts....it aint High Voltage.....is it?

They don't use much power and they're not hard to wire. You can get an oil pressure switch to kill the pump if the engine dies. Besides allowing you to cut off the flow of fuel to the engine (in case of an accident), they also can be used as a security measure. Mine has a hidden switch that connects cuts the ground, pump doesn't work, no fuel, bronco dies if stolen.

Also, you don't have to have a pressure regulator.

The only issue for me is it's a little loud, but you can't really hear it over the flowmasters!;D