• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moates Quarterhorse review(EFI)

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Well, it's been a long bumpy road but Im near perfection. For those who dont know the Moates Q/H is a chip you can put in your EEC IV J3 port to do your tunes yourself, but you also need another program called Binary Editior and a wideband is critical for do it yourself tunes.There are lots of very cool things about this setup, you have the capability to store 8 tunes and you can switch tunes or adjust anything the computer controls on the fly, also you can datalog and compare tunes next to each other. Also you can adjust for bigger injectors, diffrent maf, more engine displacment, ect.(on your laptop)
Now for the down side, If you aint computer savvy or afraid of microsoft excel this shit is like chinese arithmetic!!! There is really no "instructions for dummies" and the learning curve is steep as a mutha, but it can be done. Believe it or not my A9L computer was pretty close but a little lean especally on top. after two weeks of staring at excel charts and being stuck on stupid, asking zillons of questions its very close, Im pretty happy but one of the techno geeks Im working with says it can be better. my a/f is 13.8 to 14.7 idle-cruse and 12.8 full throttle. as far as comparing it to a carb there is no comparison,the efi feels like I picked up about 50hp on midrange, a little more on top and I cannot give hard numbers but the fuel milage is increadable(for a 427) so in closing im pleased but also learned alot also about the inner workings, I just wish they made a instruction manual for us mortals.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Moates quarterhorse review

Kudos for jumping in and learning the quarterhorse programs. I have a 88/89 SEFI motor with the bigger TB and Explorer intakes and while it runs good, I think if I had the ability to run the program in the A9P it would be so much better. Hell I have even considered going back to the stock mustang intakes and smaller MAF to see what the difference in driveability might be?

Just don't have the time or inclination to buy/learn and run the software.

Ben

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad you're seeing those good fruits of your labors av.
I've heard elsewhere also that it's a steep curve. But it sounds like it'll be worth it.
I'm not that savvy, yet, but I'm leaning the custom tune way myself. Just not sure what flavor I'm going to try yet.

Keep the info and results coming. They'll be very interesting to hear.

Thanks

Paul

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have been thinking of getting the software, this geek stuff is what I do most of my day at work.

RT

Bronco Guru
I've been tossed up between the Quarterhorse and the SCT
http://www.sctflash.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=48

Once it's tuned ( I'm running a little lean / 92 mass air ) I'd probably just leave it .

I know at this point I'm not too interested in constantly messin' with the tuning , but that might change once I get one of these .

Keep the info coming on the Quarterhorse !

OP
OP
av bronco

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I just hooked up my wideband to B/E so it shows on datalogging, Im working 12s night shift till wed, then Ill get back with geek buddy and fine tune up the tune, stay tuned.;D