• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

more advice needed- clutch

Sprintervanlife

Ok having a 68 built for me. I (and a friend)did the engine- roller ho 302, mild cam, roller rockers. supposed to have 3.50 gears, stock 3 speed,32x10.50-
anyway I want to supply flywheel and clutch. I'm thinking a 11in Luk but in the future, I will probably want to go hydraulic(just to make clutch easier to depress to since g/f will want to drive it).
So does it matter at all which clutch if I go hydraulic?
Thx

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I went with a Luk diaphragm style pressure plate and clutch 3 years ago and it's great. It's so easy to push and hold. I can't imagine a hydraulic being any easier.

The diaphragm style PP is 1000 times smoother and easier than the stock 3 finger PP

On a side note, 3.50 gears with stock 3 speed and 32's is going to be less than impressive. I ran that combo for 20 years and it was a dog. Consider 4.11's.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You are still dealing with the same forces, Hydraulic clutch won't make any significant difference in effort.

Gearing and tire size are bigger performance issues.

OP
OP
S

Sprintervanlife

Thx.
good to know about Luk clutch/pp being easy to depress- so no need for hydraulic!!
But a dog? that sounds depressing. I wanted the 3.50/32s for a little less rpm on the hiway.
Maybe I should reconsider

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thx.
good to know about Luk clutch/pp being easy to depress- so no need for hydraulic!!
But a dog? that sounds depressing. I wanted the 3.50/32s for a little less rpm on the hiway.
Maybe I should reconsider

You will find yourself with no power at highway speeds because the lower RPM is out of the power band. Modern cars and tucks have 6 speeds and even more and the stock Bronco has 3. You will lose speed on every hill you climb.

But hey some don't mind. I ran that combo for 20 years not knowing how good it could be. I changed gears and WOW......Wish I had gone just a touch deeper than 4.11 to be honest.

Tim

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
With your combination, it probably runs fine on the highway. The problem is with the high first gear that came in both three speeds and also the C4 auto.
It makes it a little tough on the clutch in both the three speed and a
auto tranny.
I went the same route a few years ago. I build a pretty torqy 302, only to find it was no improvement pulling my camper trailer. I dropped to 4.11 gears and it was like magic.
I actually wish now I had kept the motor stock and retained the emissions equipment.